SLN Catalog for 2017

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I got a response the other day from Connor Hardiman ( 2nd year owner / past employee ) of SLN. He said the new catalogs are being sent out for spring 2017 orders. If you aren't on their mailing list, you may want to contact him at ( 315 ) 261 - 1925 or e-mail at connor@sln.potsdam.ny.us - - Just a heads up for those interested.

Last edited:
I got mine in the mail yesterday.

Got mine a couple of days ago.

Got mine about a month ago, was disappointed to see the usual crab offerings are not there for this year. Apparently not enough stock to list them. I'll be hitting you guys up for some scions next spring

I didn't get mine yet. I was on the new web site and I didn't see the crabs on the site either. HUGE BUMMER !! I hope they get stocked up for the following year - my camp can use more of the All-Winter-Hangover, Winter Wildlife, and Centennial crabs on Antonovka rootstocks. The ones we already have are doing great. Wind out of my sails for crabs this coming spring.:(

They do have frostbite. They are 2" apples. I planted 2 of them three years ago and they are doing great. They are not listed as DR but mine have had zero issues. They are probably my two best trees. They did come from Cummins but I am impressed with the SNL trees I have planted. Apples to apples my SNL trees are crushing my Cummins trees...see what I did there.

I was really hoping to get some crabs but ordered from ACN instead. Hopefully next year.

I went thru the whole online catalog from SLN and they DO have some crabs. The one variety that I have 2 of that's available for spring is Hyslop crab. It is growing very well for us and has apples on it this year ( 3rd leaf ) and had some last year as well. Apples are about 1 1/4" in dia. and turn dark red. Trees have nice shape too.

The Adirondack, Red Astrachan, and Bechtel crabs that are in the spring catalog - I have no experience with.

I sent an e-mail to Connor Hardiman at SLN today and got a quick response back from him. I asked him why there were no AWH, Winter wildlife, Centennial, Trailman, Chestnut, etc. crabs this year. He told me he should have explained the shortage in the catalog for the loyal crab guys. He said a combination of bad rootstock, some insect problems, and not planning enough for this catalog are the reasons. He told me the usual SLN crabs will be back for sale ASAP. He also said they grafted double the amount for the next couple years going forward. They are now planning 3 years out. He wants to keep everyone supplied with the popular crabs many of us have come to appreciate.

Connor was quick to respond, and he's very forthright answering any questions I've had. He also told me he welcomes comments and questions from all of us on the forums. So that's the situation on the SLN crabs for now - at least the better known ones we talk about on here. I hope that answers the questions any of us SLN crab fans have. His e-mail address is on post #1. ^^^^^

I sent an e-mail to Connor Hardiman at SLN today and got a quick response back from him. I asked him why there were no AWH, Winter wildlife, Centennial, Trailman, Chestnut, etc. crabs this year. He told me he should have explained the shortage in the catalog for the loyal crab guys. He said a combination of bad rootstock, some insect problems, and not planning enough for this catalog are the reasons. He told me the usual SLN crabs will be back for sale ASAP. He also said they grafted double the amount for the next couple years going forward. They are now planning 3 years out. He wants to keep everyone supplied with the popular crabs many of us have come to appreciate.

Connor was quick to respond, and he's very forthright answering any questions I've had. He also told me he welcomes comments and questions from all of us on the forums. So that's the situation on the SLN crabs for now - at least the better known ones we talk about on here. I hope that answers the questions any of us SLN crab fans have. His e-mail address is on post #1. ^^^^^

So should I be concerned about my crabs that I ordered last year?

Rally - No. He was referring to the grafted trees for this COMING spring - 2017. This year he had some problems ( with rootstocks and insects ) plus didn't graft enough of the popular crabs. I guess short numbers + the mentioned problems = none of the " big name " crabs for this coming spring.

The crabs I got from them this past spring are all doing really well. I have no worries about them.

Phew!

They do have frostbite. They are 2" apples. I planted 2 of them three years ago and they are doing great. They are not listed as DR but mine have had zero issues. They are probably my two best trees. They did come from Cummins but I am impressed with the SNL trees I have planted. Apples to apples my SNL trees are crushing my Cummins trees...see what I did there.

Frostbite seems to be very susceptible to CAR.

Frostbite seems to be very susceptible to CAR.
I have no experience with CAR. For better or worse cedar trees do not grow in my area. I was jut checking on my frostbite trees. With this years growth they reached about 10' on thier 3rd leaf. Perhaps I will I have a blossom next year.