Siphon for irrigation

akernoutdoors

Buck Fawn
Hi, I live in southeast Missouri and have several food plots throughout my farm. One is along a river and is one of my better plots. I am trying to figure out a way I can water it during the dry season. I am entertaining the idea of running a hose siphon and weaving a hose around the plot and poking holes in it to gently water the plot. my only issue is the lift from river to the plot is I'm guessing 15-20 near vertical lift. Any suggestions? Not opposed to buying cheap gas pump from harbor freight to if needed. Thanks in advance

It is physically impossible to siphon if the surface of your water supply is below the drain level into the field. Sounds like you are really talking about actively pumping. All depends on your needed volume and availability of power.

^^^^ Agreed. To raise water 15-20' you would have to overcome ~ 8-10 psig head pressure, then overcome the back pressure in the length of hose run.

If you connect a pump directly to the hose, matching pump pressure to hose size/length real important.

You could consider setting up a water tank say ~500 gal, mount on stilts 5-8' high. You may get enough head in the tank to create a gravity drip irrigation system.

get a gas powered trash pump and some hose. If you're close enough to run garden hoses, just run a 1 1/2" or 2" line up there and fire hose it.

You won't be able to set it and walk away for a slow soak, but if you're within a couple hundred feet and have to have water, you could get it done like this.

Or get a couple industrial totes and load them on a trailer and haul them back in to where you have gravity on your side.

500 gal would be like getting a light dew,you may be able to pump with a trash pump then add a booster by plot but look up number of gallons required to make 1 inch on 1 acre.Most 2 inch trash pumps are around 195 gal per minute