All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shooting Bench

Mista Paacha

5 year old buck +
I found an easy to build design for a sturdy, heavy shooting bench.
I had to change it a bit because I had some old barn lumber to use up.
This is the design
IMG_0042_zpseu7tjfee.jpeg

IMG_0043_zpsov8nmssi.jpeg

IMG_0044_zpspj8rcovd.jpeg

IMG_0045_zpsh4eetoki.jpeg

IMG_0046_zpsbecc2rfg.jpeg

IMG_0047_zps798uuydd.jpeg

IMG_0048_zpsgb6ol4ds.jpeg

IMG_0049_zpscq283yf9.jpeg

IMG_0050_zpsktafuroq.jpeg

IMG_0051_zpskvlia5ho.jpeg

I substituted the 1x6 top for 5/4 decking, 1x14 for 2x12 and 2x6 for actual 2x6.

20170513_161537_zpsxfk7ugjz.jpg

20170513_161530_zpsibeiltys.jpg

20170513_161518_zpsiwstcvpb.jpg

Next step is to dig some post holes and set it into place. I then plan to pour a 4x8 concrete pad around it. Finally put some posts around the pad and build awning for some shade.

Nice job Mista Paacha. The only critique I have of that design is that I dislike shooting benches with a fixed bench seat. I find a separate adjustable height stool more convenient and better for shooters of different builds and height to get a comfortable position behind the gun.

Also, if you're going to pour a slab I would not dig those post holes to set the legs. Just place the bench on the completed slab. It's plenty heavy enough for stability. No need to complicate the job - plus you will have the option of modifying the bench if you ever desire to do so.

Here's something else you may want to consider. I put an 8' x 10' awning over my shooting bench and made the mistake of making it almost flat. It was a mistake because the bench is located in a stand of pine trees and the awning collected a thick layer of dead needles from the trees. A flat awning is fine if the bench is in an open area. But if it's near trees I suggest a severe peaked design.

Last edited:
Nice job and rather simple design there too( I also agree with the fixed seat height, but ?? can live with most at times, adjustable is way better of possible?)
ONE thing I MIGHT suggest is, adding adjustable height feet for the legs, as the ground is NEVER level at times unless your having a cement pad put down.

Some threaded rod , and some HD concrete inserts placed into the 4x4 legs and a foot pad on one end , can make that work too pretty easy as well!

Looks good and solid. Only thing I can recommend is a bath towel under your elbow. Sometimes the kick drags your elbow across the wood and it hurts.

Nice bench, but I also have a problem with fixed bench seats. I omit them from my shooting benches and bring along a free standing chair for use with the bench.