All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings and Sunlight

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
If you were planting a new pocket of spruce/hardwood seedlings.

Would you rather have them recieve morning to noon sunshine, or noon to sundown?

Everything else being equal.

Know fruit trees would prefer the am.

Depends on the kind of tree. I'd prefer for chestnuts to get morning sun. For apples and Jujube that want more sun, I'd probably opt for afternoon

White spruce and bur oak

I was always under the impression that fruit trees wanted am light the most to burn off the morning dew right away to reduce the risk of disease transmission.

I want 8-9 hrs. or more ... anyway I can get it for optimum growth. :emoji_relaxed:

"Trees use energy from the sun to create sugars through a process called photosynthesis and without these sugars as an energy source a tree cannot grow or ultimately survive. A study by Thomas Givnish found that the process of photosynthesis is directly impacted by the amount of sunlight that hits a tree's leave."

Last edited:
Dunno about trees but during hot dry summers my clover would grow best with partial afternoon shade and full sun in mornings. Now I'm in WI so "hot" is relative.

Thz for the 1st grade science lesson Oakseeds.
Sadly all day sun is not an option.

Rocks&Stumps.
Gunna go with your thinking, summer can get hot and dry here and if I can avoid late Aug heat it might be the best.

My chestnuts do better on north and east facing slopes that are sandy loam and well drained

Afternoon sun in east texas summer is harsh and unforgiving

bill

General rule of thumb for me is to give my trees their sunlight first thing in the AM. Your point about burning the moisture off the leaves sounds very plausible. My theory is that nights are pretty much the only cool thing about summer, which kind of builds in a buffer of thermal protection for the trees as the sun is rising for the day. By the time the sun is directly overhead, and heat of the day present, ideally there would be some partial shade to shield the trees. I planted my bur oaks this year according to this theory. In this particular location, by 2 or 3 the sun is starting to drop down behind a tree line.

Good luck!