Seed WR same time as clover or after?

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
What are you guys doing. I have a spring plot on a lease that I have. Getting ready to get clover in for this fall. I planned to get the clover broadcasted around mid August. Should the WR be done same time or should I wait a couple weeks to around labor day? Or should I do it all around Labor Day? First time using WR in a mix and I don’t want to screw it up

Depends on how you're planting it, if you're tilling it I usually disc it broadcast my cereal grains and the set my disc at 1-2" and disc it again cultipack it and spread my clover and cultipack it again. If you are doing a throw and mow/roll you can do it all at one time.

I would wait and plant the WR early Sept. This will keep the WR from growing too tall especially if you have a warm fall. Seems most palatable when 4"-6". WR is about as simple of a seed to plant as there is. You can go to all of the work of discing or culti-packing; however, I never have. I have always simply broadcasted, if it has any ground contact at all it will germinate. I have even had it germinate in the back of my Kawi Mule bed.

So then should I be sticking with a mid August timeframe to get the clover in? August temps vary here. Could be 80. Could be 100. I usually wait for the two week forecast to show some good spread out rain and broadcast right before.

So then should I be sticking with a mid August timeframe to get the clover in? August temps vary here. Could be 80. Could be 100. I usually wait for the two week forecast to show some good spread out rain and broadcast right before.
I usually plant my cereal grains around the first of Sept.

Id do it all around Labor Day. I see nothing to gain by putting your clover in earlier. Either way its going to be next year before you see any significant growth from it.

Swiffy is correct, you are planting to establish rooting this fall with full emergence for next spring. WR will germinate in temps as low as 32 deg F, your local temps will have no impact. In some years I have had the clover fail to emerge in the spring, WR always shows up.