Seed a Legacy Program - Opportunity for free pollinator seed

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Looking for free pollinator seed? I have no affiliation with this organization, I have not participated in this program. I saw this opportunity on social media today.

I am a big advocate of planting native flowers and plants to support bees, butterflies and other pollinators and wildlife. This might be worth looking into if you have some land that you are looking to improve. It says 100% cost share for 2-25 acres.

https://beeandbutterflyfund.org/hab...I63PJBxlj1m5keJXCscdGfl4CKRsqMFsNHifeZWcMeMpY

I'll have to check this out! I love wildflowers and pollinators! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That seems like a great way to get some free seed if you were signing up for a CRP program.

Thanks you for the info....I have contacted than and we will see what comes of it. The area I would like to use is near some roads and I can;t make it traditional wildlife habitat because of potential poaching and the like. Right now it's just fescue because the wife likes it nice and mowed....I hate it because it does nothing for field life and just consumes my time. So maybe, just maybe I can make it "pretty" and not have to mow it AND help the habitat.

Pollinator CRP should be a high priority and cost share should be 75% or more. Not sure if that is the case in the new farm bill?

Pollinator CRP should be a high priority and cost share should be 75% or more. Not sure if that is the case in the new farm bill?

No longer the case. CRP was gutted in this farm bill. CP42 is no longer an option but you could plant a similar mix as a CP2. 50% max cost share, no SIPs, no PIPs, and soil rental rates are capped at 85% of the county average by soil type for new contracts and reduced another 15% for re enrollment.

They increased the acreage cap but mainly for CRP grasslands program. This farm bill pitted ag interests against conservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I recommend on pollinator habitat- throw a bag of bird seed sunflowers in the grain box if you are drilling. Instant, pretty color.

Deer love to chow on the wildflowers too.

No longer the case. CRP was gutted in this farm bill. CP42 is no longer an option but you could plant a similar mix as a CP2. 50% max cost share, no SIPs, no PIPs, and soil rental rates are capped at 85% of the county average by soil type for new contracts and reduced another 15% for re enrollment.

They increased the acreage cap but mainly for CRP grasslands program. This farm bill pitted ag interests against conservation.

Where did you find this 2019 farm bill crp info? My fsa guy didn't have that info when i spoke to him earlier this week.

Off topic kind of. But I have an area between the road and my woods line. Only like 15 feet wide but 60ish yards long. Right now it’s al grass. My other half wants flowers there (in all for it so I don’t have to mow the area). Would wildflowers work in this area? And if so what varieties (perennials preferably) should I consider? Thanks

Where did you find this 2019 farm bill crp info? My fsa guy didn't have that info when i spoke to him earlier this week.

I got an article in my email about it. I can’t remember who it was from but I’ll dig and see if I can find it.

Off topic kind of. But I have an area between the road and my woods line. Only like 15 feet wide but 60ish yards long. Right now it’s al grass. My other half wants flowers there (in all for it so I don’t have to mow the area). Would wildflowers work in this area? And if so what varieties (perennials preferably) should I consider? Thanks
Not sure, but pick something the deer don't like do they don't get hit on the road!

Sure they would. Spend a year killing the grass and weeds. You don’t have many herbicide options to use over the top of them so you’ve got to start clean. I like to use 15 spp minimum but can’t say which ones you need as I don’t know the site.

Not sure, but pick something the deer don't like do they don't get hit on the road!
This area is top of the hill cul de sac. Not sure I spelled that right. Almost no traffic so it’s not a concern

Sure they would. Spend a year killing the grass and weeds. You don’t have many herbicide options to use over the top of them so you’ve got to start clean. I like to use 15 spp minimum but can’t say which ones you need as I don’t know the site.

Oh it’s a struggle to keep the grass up anyway. So it wouldn’t be hard to wipe it out. Any varieties or websites you guys suggest as a resource for it

Check with your local native seed sources like Ernst or Roundstone.

Nice.
Thanks Ed. I may just sign up for a 2020 planting.

My seed mix for the crp pollinator program last year was something to the effect of $450 to the acre for just seed.. The US Fish and Wildlife lent me their no till planter and I did the prep work as well which helped keep cost down and maximized my cost sharing payout. I only read part of the legacy information posted but short of being able to enroll your land in an actual crp program that pays out annually this does seem like a pretty good deal, thanks for the info.

I am growing around 75+ different wildflower species in my suburban backyard prairie in southwest WI. I start a lot of different native plants and flowers from carefully selected seed sources. Then i'll propagate further by splitting plants and gathering/harvesting seed. Excess plants and seed I take to the farm. I plan to do a picture style blog post in 2019 to share some of my processes and techniques and you will see a lot of rare plants that just aren't commonly found anymore that used to make up much of the landscape in some places.

I am growing around 75+ different wildflower species in my suburban backyard prairie in southwest WI. I start a lot of different native plants and flowers from carefully selected seed sources. Then i'll propagate further by splitting plants and gathering/harvesting seed. Excess plants and seed I take to the farm. I plan to do a picture style blog post in 2019 to share some of my processes and techniques and you will see a lot of rare plants that just aren't commonly found anymore that used to make up much of the landscape in some places.
That would be great (posting a picture blog), and thanks for your efforts to continue this important ecosystem and rare plants involved. I think this is really cool stuff!

check with your local NRCS office and see what is available regarding CSP monarch pollinater programs. I did several acres last year and it is well worth it. I also have an earlier CSP contract in pollinater planting and last summer it really took off, I have really enjoyed this part of my habitat enhancement on my property.