All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second year trees leafing out

TMIL

5 year old buck +
I went to the "farm" yesterday to check out the pear/apple trees I planted last Spring. 13 out of 14 have leaves on them, I'm happy with that ratio. There are also several blossoms, which I picked off, looking for roots and wood again this year! Here are some pics I snapped.

This crabapple is a leaner, I guess I need to get some support for it. Looks good and healthy though.

20170401_161008_zpslqq4c7z8.jpg

Here's another, looks like a good central leader forming. I didn't prune any of them this year, kinda scared really. I will prune next winter though.

20170401_161148_zpsffsamomk.jpg

Another coming on well. This one needs pruned next winter for sure.

20170401_161231_zpskfsjagot.jpg

I have more pics I snapped that I will post later. Photobucket annoys the heck out of me, so I'm taking a break from it. Haha!

Always exciting to see things coming back to life in the spring. It's hard to pinch those first blooms off, lord I know, but better for your trees in the long run. I've got a three year old Cauley blooming that I'm still going to snip off the blooms so it can get a little more growth this year.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Always exciting to see things coming back to life in the spring. It's hard to pinch those first blooms off, lord I know, but better for your trees in the long run. I've got a three year old Cauley blooming that I'm still going to snip off the blooms so it can get a little more growth this year.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I'm actually quite comfortable plucking off the blossoms. Here is one of the pear trees planted last year after just 2 weeks in the ground! Turkey Creek trees are just begging to make fruit!! Too soon, too soon!!!!

IMAG0390_zpsjjwzf0zw.jpg

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/baby-pears-blooming.5268/

I took a picture of that tree the other day, I'll get it on photobucket and post it here.

Last edited:
Here it is now. Its hard to see the green leaves that have popped, but they're there. All the other buds will leaf soon, looking like temps in the 70s and not much lower than 50 this week. You can see how it ended up way up over the 5' tall cage in its first year.

20170401_162649_zpsozpx0eau.jpg

I'm not really sure if I should prune the pear trees or not. You can see there are 2 leaders shooting up. Should I prune off the lower this winter, do you think?

I'm not really sure if I should prune the pear trees or not. You can see there are 2 leaders shooting up. Should I prune off the lower this winter, do you think?
Definitely. One of the most important things you can do for your trees is to ensure that the dominant bud on the central leader gets maximum energy and to do that you have to prune or 'train down' the competing buds.