All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

second rookie apple tree question of the day

mtholton

5 year old buck +
In reviewing all the other threads, it appears like Liberty 118 is my best bet for a lower maint fruit tree. I was hoping to get a mix of 3 or 4 trees in the ground this year to what will be the start of my first in food plot apple plantings. I have all the materials (fencing etc) ready, but didn't plan ahead on ordering trees. This is a rookie question, but do you have to order this type of tree way ahead? I assumed I'd swing into a local nursery and buy a few on the way over to my land, but based on reading just about every thread on here :) I'm guessing that won't be happening.

Is there anywhere still selling this or another recommended stock that you suggest? I've looked at all the places I see on the threads and in checking their sites, seem to be sold out. Or do I just need to get things prepped for next year and plan better. I live in MN and my land is in western WI. Thanks as always.

My goal for trees will be to offer a later season diversity. Currently the plot designated is clover and chicory. I'd like to use these to diversify the plot offering.

P.S. I am having my wife pickup a complete beginners guide to apple trees at the library today.

Most folks order their trees the previous fall... This ensures you get the variety and root stock you are after. Now this also tends to mean your getting smaller bare root trees, vs the 3 or 5 gallon trees at the local big box retailer. I have seen Liberty for sale at large retailers before, but its not real common. The other thing is buy ordering your trees in advance you can get them from a location that is closer to your land and thus get a more suitable tree. Many big box retailers get their trees from sources further south and may or may not handle your location as well. I hope you find what your looking for.

Liberty on MM111 would be a close second to B118 and Turkey Creek looks like they have 2 in stock. I have a couple Liberty on MM111 and they are nice trees.

https://www.turkeycreektrees.com/apple#!

I'm pruning my Turkey Creek trees bought a year ago as we speak. They all grew extremely well.

4a is pushing it for Liberty. I am 4a and lost all my liberty to winter kill.

If you are looking for low maintenance trees, do not forget the crab apples, specifically chestnut crab.

Most of the local nurseries sell stock from Baileys and there rootstock is reliable. Don’t buy the dwarf trees.

Gilby’s at Aitkin has a bare root apple tree sale. Ask for chestnut crab.

Hula is no longer running the full scale nursery but you can order bare root from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure what is considered western Wisconsin versus northwestern Wis, but buy a haralson and a dolgo if you see it. Then you have early to mid fall covered with a chestnut crab.

Watch for a Kerr Crab for later deer feeding.
Learn to graft for the late fall droppers or watch some of the wildlife nurseries.

I have bought several trees from these guys in the past, and would be pretty close to where you are.

www.motznursery.com

Thanks you! Just left them a message. That is 20 mins from the land!
I bought trees from them too. Great quality and price. I ordered mine the fall before but they still had some left overs there on pickup weekend. I planted 7 varieties. Chestnut crab was the 1st to produce. Motz gets their trees from Baileys Nursery

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have had very good luck with their trees. Not a one has died, and when you order a 7/8 tree you get at least a 1” 7 foot tall tree.

I have bought several trees from these guys in the past, and would be pretty close to where you are.

www.motznursery.com

Thanks you! Just left them a message. That is 20 mins from the land!
I bought trees from them too. Great quality and price. I ordered mine the fall before but they still had some left overs there on pickup weekend. I planted 7 varieties. Chestnut crab was the 1st to produce. Motz gets their trees from Baileys Nursery

A guy at work owns a landscape company and had access to the Baileys online catalog let me look through it for the descriptions & when looking at it last year if memory serves correctly 99% of the trees are on the semi dwarf M7 root stock. Most trees sold around Mn & Wisconsin are from baileys nursery

I don’t recall the rootstocks they are on, but I do know that my trees that are 4 years old in my ground are at about 20 feet tall.

I don’t recall the rootstocks they are on, but I do know that my trees that are 4 years old in my ground are at about 20 feet tall.
Did you prune your trees at all? I have semi dwarf and full sized trees. They have recieved fairly heavy pruning and are maybe 12 feet tall. Diameter is pushing 3" or so

I trim them from year 2 on. The first couple years, unless broken, or extreme, I just let them grow some.

How big were they when you planted them?

St Lawrence is taking orders until early April, not sure what they have left. The nurseries I order from either start offering their spring trees in late December or early January or they take orders in March for late fall or early winter delivery.

St Lawrence, Northern Whitetail Crabs, The Wildlife Group, and Big Horse Creek have different ordering processes but have been very helpful and deliver great looking trees.

Picked up four trees from Motz. Great service and easy to work with. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Attachments

• motz.jpeg
    motz.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 34
Lol I just looked up the info for you for Motz Nursery... figured you could whip in there and talk with him on the way to your land, nice guy, Dean if I remember right - he always has a few extra to sell. I have bought from him before - He has in the past ordered from baileys - last year he went with a different supplier. Fleet farm in menomonie still has some trees in the boxes by the front doors - there were liberty trees in there a while back.

Last edited:
Lol I just looked up the info for you for Motz Nursery... figured you could whip in there and talk with him on the way to your land, nice guy - he always has a few extra to sell. I have bought from him before - He has in the past ordered from baileys - last year he went with a different supplier. Fleet farm in menomonie still has some trees in the boxes by the front doors - there were liberty trees in there a while back.

Ended up getting sucked into the fleet farm trees today, the seemed to be from baileys also. Big sale tho $20 on sale for $15. Ended up loading up the Silverado with 17 trees lol