All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandy rootstock

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
I have a friend who has land in central WI in the sand. Am I correct in thinking B118 is his best bet for rootstock for sandy soils? I don't know anything about the soil besides being sandy.

Also, certain varieties that are better than others in sand? Crabs better than Apples?

We have mostly clay soils so I don't have any experience with apple trees in sand.

Any advice that I could pass along would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes on the B118

In which cases would you select dolgo or Columbia rootstock over B118?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had better luck with Dolgo and Columbia? Would Dolgo matched with crabs like Whitney, Dolgo, Chestnut, and Kerr be good bets for the central sands in WI?

I dont have experience with either one of those. They might be better suited for some instances, but I cant say.

Have you had better luck with Dolgo and Columbia? Would Dolgo matched with crabs like Whitney, Dolgo, Chestnut, and Kerr be good bets for the central sands in WI?

I have somewhat of a variety of soils and have some on dolgo, some on Anty, probably one Columbia, and B 118’s.

I have some suspicions, but not enough experience to verify what I think.

The real answer is probably either a Chevy or Ford can get you to town, or either can leave you walking!

Thanks for the help! I'll pass the info along. I always appreciate the apple expertise on this forum!

B118 all the way.

I suspect Ed ( Matt) knows what is best on your soils. I don’t even try and grow apples on my blow sand , but only plant them on my better soils.

Make sure you review how Matt plants his trees.

I do have suspicions that dolgo and Columbia are hardier than B118, but have no proof yet.

This is the first winter my B118’s saw -34 with Little snow cover.

This is a Wolf River on B118 in the very sandy soils of Cental WI. It’s been my best grower of the batch planted a couple years ago now pushing 10’ tall. While I haven’t had fruit yet on these trees, the B118 trees are growing better than the rest so far (compared to M-7 & “mystery” trees from the nursery on “standard” rootstock.) The other thing I will say I enjoy is that the B118s do not not sucker like the rest making maintenance of the smaller, mouse & vole fence a bit easier. A9839D48-2219-401F-BB87-58D4235216C1.jpeg

I have sandy soil and young trees (started in 2017), about 150 total. Vast majority are a pretty even mix between b118 and m111 with no noticable difference. My 4 largest trees are 3 trees from northern whitetail crabs (unknown roots but suspect m111 based on burknots) planted 2017, and a Chestnut crab from Cummins on P.18 in 2019. I was always impressed with the growth of the NWC trees, but the P.18 Chestnut Crab is even blowing those away.

Perhaps the five b118 all planted the same yr in 2017 got a bit dry in shipping or something but not impressed overall with growth in sandy loam vs crab seedlings on their own roots. Red splendor, siberian, and ranetka crabs grow well compared to the typical "nursery" rootstocks b118 , anty, and m7 as far as I see. I have a few trees planted this yr on b118 that responded nicely. Will see after about 3rd leaf if they can keep that up. I do not have any dolgo seedlings to compare to but ranetka shares a dolgo parent in there somewhere and expect dolgo or ranetka to be close. Sandbur seems to have confidence in dolgo. At this point I would take ranetka over b118.

Last edited:
Perhaps the five b118 all planted the same yr in 2017 got a bit dry in shipping or something but not impressed overall with growth in sandy loam vs crab seedlings on their own roots. Red splendor, siberian, and ranetka crabs grow well compared to the typical "nursery" rootstocks b118 , anty, and m7 as far as I see. I have a few trees planted this yr on b118 that responded nicely. Will see after about 3rd leaf if they can keep that up. I do not have any dolgo seedlings to compare to but ranetka shares a dolgo parent in there somewhere and expect dolgo or ranetka to be close. Sandbur seems to have confidence in dolgo. At this point I would take ranetka over b118.

I posted it further up in this thread, I think.

I like dolgo rootstock but will not plant it in the blow sand hills. I have variable soils ranging from blow sand to medium soils.

I don’t have an answer for that extremely light soil. I have left one of those blow sand areas as a dead zone for stand approach.

For the areas folks call blow sand agree apple trees tough to expect much. Better chance for something like nuts or browse over fruit trees if willful neglect is expected. Those areas the farmers use pivot irrigation to grow their stuff. Family has land next to a field like that. Pines, hazelnuts, and scrubby oaks grow there. Think mostly black oak but maybe some burrs in the better areas. In the poor areas it is mostly pine and even grass does not grow that well. More like some lichen type stuff.

The pic above with the wolf river shows a decent amount of grass. That might be sandy but not the really crappy stuff.

Last edited:
I didn’t read through the thread for awhile to see what has been posted. Just some random thoughts.
1. Watch in the spring for blooming apple trees. If you find wild trees, note where they are growing. Look and see if they have any suckers that might provide rootstock.
2. Plant apple trees in locations similar to where you find the wild apple trees growing.
3. For me, I look at that seam between swamp and higher ground. There is usually a location with slightly better soil and some moisture that is below the sand in the uplands.
4. Buy crystals for root gel or moisture holding crystals.Be generous with them.
5. Some of my best growing crabs are on the native rootstock.
6.A buddy says that native crabs and apples on their own roots have done best during this drought. Time to grow more seedlings?
7. Mulch.