Roundup question

megavites

Yearling... With promise
Just something I’ve been wondering if anyone has observed yet in there situation. With the throw an mow method and spraying a cover crop like Winter wheat….has anyone observed that WW still being grazed after spraying? Do the deer naturally stop browsing on it? With all the recent news about Glysophate showing up in the food chain, I’m just wondering about deer ingesting it and then eating backstraps on the grill.

If the deer touches round-up and you eat the deer you are a goner.

Just kidding. Most of the soybeans and corn are/were sprayed with round-up for years and I've never heard of any issues.

Don't allow the media jackles to scare you. Like Ben says nothing to worry about

Remember that food plots consist of a small portion of the deers diet. The stuff you buy at your local grocery store has been exposed to much worse than any deer your going to ever eat.

.......... i'm doomed........

bill

You don't watch enough late-night TV. The vultures (I mean lawyers) are circling!... "Did you have regular exposure to glyphosate? Did your sack fall off? The World Health Organization has determined that glyphosate is a possible carcinogen. You may have a valuable claim against the manufacturer. How do you ensure you get all of the compensation you deserve? Hire a legal team with the ....."

So, on a serious note, I think you should have the right to feel concerned. Not to scare you, I just don’t think the point your making should be dismissed. It’s crazy how it can show up in food items. I would suspect that it’s in venison as well. What I will say is, it’s probably in it regardless of whether or not you use it or don’t because of how much it’s used in agriculture and probably in feed to some extent. If your going to spray use everything precaution to keep it off of you. I myself am going through the struggle of whether or not I want to continue to use it or not and if I do, I need to get a lot more serious about using protective gear.

So, on a serious note, I think you should have the right to feel concerned. Not to scare you, I just don’t think the point your making should be dismissed. It’s crazy how it can show up in food items. I would suspect that it’s in venison as well. What I will say is, it’s probably in it regardless of whether or not you use it or don’t because of how much it’s used in agriculture and probably in feed to some extent. If your going to spray use everything precaution to keep it off of you. I myself am going through the struggle of whether or not I want to continue to use it or not and if I do, I need to get a lot more serious about using protective gear.
Have any of you guys submerged your whole arm in your sprayer tank, or sprayed with a front mounted sprayer, feeling the most

Have any of you guys submerged your whole arm in your sprayer tank, or sprayed with a front mounted sprayer, feeling the most
"Mist"

You have to remember that these law suits are jury trials in San Francisco. They are being appealed. Why? Because of the overwhelming evidence that gly is and has been safe since the get go. But I can’t answer your question about grazing ww after a treatment. I sell Round up in the turf market and I don’t have to worry about grazing restrictions. Im sure someone in ag could answer that. It seems to me the deer would smell it or be able to tell it was dying and leave it alone.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
My cameras have shown a large drop off in food plot usage after I spray non-RR crops that I’m trying to kill.

After spraying RR beans, it’s not too long before the deer are back on the beans.

For piece of mind, when I spray I wear light rain gear, a 3M full face respirator and gloves.

I am still cracking up at Bowsnbucks’ reply.

Never submerged my arm on Purpose. But I have had the wind blow it back on me on the turns, open tractor, 40 foot booms. Can’t seem to help getting some on you when your cleaning out the tank. I try to get as little as possible on me and shower as soon as I’m done. I don’t believe all the hype of late but I do try and minimize swimming in it.

I’m with Peplin. It’s probably in lots of stuff we eat.

Never submerged my arm on Purpose. But I have had the wind blow it back on me on the turns, open tractor, 40 foot booms. Can’t seem to help getting some on you when your cleaning out the tank. I try to get as little as possible on me and shower as soon as I’m done. I don’t believe all the hype of late but I do try and minimize swimming in it.

I’m with Peplin. It’s probably in lots of stuff we eat.

I agree toxins are in lots of food. And I hope folks are not eating apples...I hear the seeds have cyanide in them!

The reality is that we as humans are very poor at assessing risk. Of course it makes sense to take prudent precautions any time we are handling herbicides and such. We, as a culture, fear school shooting to the point where many would ban firearms and others would arm every teacher, yet we let our kids drive to school with little concern. Which do you think has the greater statistical likelihood of causing death or injury? I have a similar view when it comes to glyphosate. Are we exposed through contact or ingestion to some level of gly? Of course we are. The real question becomes, how much injury or death has been caused by whatever concentration we are exposed to? We don't have an exact answer for this or for many other toxins in the environment, natural or man produced. We do develop approximations over time. Some things like asbestos and tobacco have pretty high correlations with causal relationships identified. Others like gly have some weak correlations with no causal relationships identified. Given the long history of use and wide exposure, I doubt we will see statistically significant risk for the general population. That is not to say that some fraction of the population may have a higher risk.

Everyone has to weigh the benefits and risks of everything thing we encounter in life and make their own decision. The human brain tends to operate on personal experiences and anecdotal evidence. If you or someone you know has had a bad experience you tend to overrate the risk. If it is something you have done repeatedly with no bad outcome, you tent to under rate the risk. To top that off, some of us are naturally risk takers and others risk avoiders.

These debates will go on and on...

Last edited:
Eggs were bad for us ……….. then they're OK and healthy ………….. now they're very bad for us again.

I'm all for safety & prudence, but who really knows ( among avg. Joe's ) if a herbicide is dangerous or not ?? I do what DIY does and wear disposable rain gear, nitrile gloves ( about $5 for a box of 50 ), and don't have nozzle tightened to "mist". That way it doesn't drift in the air. I like to apply gly with a spray of droplets - not a misty aerosol. PPE and other precautions are just common sense, the same as wearing warm gear while winter deer hunting and not t-shirts and shorts.

I don't know where to start. Look, argue it if you want, but in this country have the safest food supply there has ever been. Life is not without risk. Sometimes some extremely small percentage of the population falls victim to food allergies, toxins, and bacteria. A lot of people around the world have eaten GMOs most likely sprayed with glyphosate, yet the percentage of the general population affected with the medical maladies supposedly caused by glyphosate is no greater now than it was before it.

We should be cautious. But, at the same time why don't we celebrate the achievements brought about by the same technologies that so many want to destroy. What is it about success that leads so many to malign that very success?

But, at the same time why don't we celebrate the achievements brought about by the same technologies that so many want to destroy. What is it about success that leads so many to malign that very success?

Hey Farmer Dan....I get your overall points. But maybe because many "successes" in the past turned out to be unmitigated disasters. Thalidomide (the morning sickness pill) was touted as a huge success....until kids started being born with missing limbs. Agent Orange was a highly successful defoliant...now tens of thousands of Vietnam vets (like my father) suffer from all kinds of diseases and cancers. Same with DDT...then birds of prey populations started to tank all over the country. Asbestos was a successful material for sound absorption and heat resistance...until the 1930' when guys exposed to it began to die of cancer.

Look, I'm all for achievement and technology and successes, and celebrating those. But I have a healthy enough dose of skepticism and cynicism to put my blind faith in something like gly.

As youderjac said...this debate will go on. But it doesn't really need to. If your comfortable with gly and use it copiously and drink it like kool-aid on hot day...go for it. That's a personal choice I would begrudge anybody who uses it. On the other hand, if you care not to use gly because of potential health concerns to oneself and the environment that should be O.K. too. To each his own. When people try to argue their point in attempt to change the minds of those they think aren't thinking correctly is when the debate gets old.

Anyone interested in learning more about the possible dangers of gly should search youtube for some videos by Dr. Zach Bush, and Johnathon Lundgren.

I will no longer use gly, and am trying to cut out all herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc....

You gotta love the timing. The gly/RR pair comes out and productivity goes up. Gly develops the reputation as one of the safest herbicides available especially compared to what farmers used pre-gly. Over time we begin to hear about gly-resistant weeds becoming a problem. Just about the time when farmers begin to look for alternatives, new GMO/Herbicide combinations come out. We then are hit with an activist campaign about the health impact of gly.

Regardless of the legitimacy or hype of claims on either side, I really find the timing interesting. When trying to unravel an enigma...follow the money!

Thanks,

jack