All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root Pouches

Needmorebrush82

5 year old buck +
I know some of the tree guys on here are using root pouches and after yesterday planting them just became a whole lot easier. I went to move my persimmons and had a pencil size root growing into the ground. This tells me we can pant them without worry and the roots will penetrate the bag just fine once planted in the ground. I was tearing the bag off before I planted and was always bummed that I had to tear a few roots off to get the bag off. Well from now on the bag goes in the hole and I can plant trees that much faster. These were one gallons that are said to decompose in 12-15 months. It's a slight pain that they grow through the bag if you leave them sitting around for months, but hey I like knowing the roots will penetrate once planted without issue.

I have used a couple of the different grades for some experiments. I have some of the longer life ones that are still in great shape after 3 years setting on the ground (they do have a root or two that have breached the bottom). I bought some of the shortest life ones and buried them in the ground when I seeded them this spring, dug a couple out of the ground last week and the tap roots were barely breaking through, but the bags came apart in my hands.