All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roasted and ate my first chestnut.

I tried some store bought ones a few years back. Not so good. I bet like anything else your own grown are great.

I’m jealous. Chestnuts are an acquired taste for some. I love th‘em. Congratulation.

I prefer them raw, but they need to dry out for a few days to develop that sweet taste. Chestnuts are one of my favorite snacks.

How many years before a dunstan gives nuts?

How many years before a dunstan gives nuts?
4 if babied. I’ve planted a ton of dunstans, but am planting mainly Chinese these days.

I prefer them raw, but they need to dry out for a few days to develop that sweet taste. Chestnuts are one of my favorite snacks.
Do you just let them sit or do you have a drying method?

I’ve also bought only seedlings but I’m trying to grow some from seed myself. Using root pouches. Hopeful to grow them till next fall, then just drop the root pouch in the ground at their permanent location. Also doing this with a bunch of acorns.

My place has a ton of oaks, but just thought it would be a fun project.

Do you just let them sit or do you have a drying method?

I’ve also bought only seedlings but I’m trying to grow some from seed myself. Using root pouches. Hopeful to grow them till next fall, then just drop the root pouch in the ground at their permanent location. Also doing this with a bunch of acorns.

My place has a ton of oaks, but just thought it would be a fun project.
I just let them sit for a few days. They will shrink a little as they dry and get a really nice flavor.

Last edited:
I bought a couple pounds of chestnuts a couple years ago roasted some and tried them wasn’t very impressed at all. Maybe when some of my 30 or so trees start producing they will be better eating.

I bought a couple pounds of chestnuts a couple years ago roasted some and tried them wasn’t very impressed at all. Maybe when some of my 30 or so trees start producing they will be better eating.
I don't like them roasted.