Remington 700 recall

Thanks for sharing.

The recall back 5 or 6 years ago was really needed because I know of a couple of times that while working the bolt with gloves on a finger hit the trigger and since you couldn't have the safety on when working the bolt it was a important safety recall.This is really easy you can send in by UPS and don't have to go through a dealer or anything unless something changed

Mistakes happen though you think they would know how to make a safe trigger mechanism =). Always keep the weapon in a safe direction and you most likely won't shoot yourself or anyone else. It amazes me when I go pheasant hunting and how many times I get muzzle swept.

I thought my model 7 was older than the recall dates- it is...not in the reacall. The remington site had recall information that included a ribbed or smooth trigger surface- ribbed was not in the recall, smooth was- but look for yourselves and don't take my interpreting of it for gospel. Good luck to those checking. Appreciate Red giving us a heads up!!

its NOT a big deal, box up they pay shipping both ways and a short time later they send gun back

sent in a couple I had, NO issue's at all
and NOT like its in the middle of deer season you HAVE to do it

Rem isn't the only gun maker that has had recalls over the yrs, , MOST all have some at some sort, even ammo makers too

things happen
still a solid rifle, and the MOST custom build action out there even today, which says a LOT about them IMO !~

Thanks Red, for the notice. Much appreciated.

This was actually on 60 mins last week. Pretty much a hit piece on Remington. Not saying the recall isn't needed but they made it out to be all model 7anythings. One of their examples was a well trained firearm owner whose gun accidentally went off when he was taking it out of a soft case to clean it????

Ended up going off and killing two girls next door. Sad story but I don't know to many well trained experts that store loaded guns in soft cases, in the house.

BILL, I didn;'t see the 60 min piece
but and NOT expecting you to KNOW< but how can it be said a " well trained firearm owner "
had his gun go off taking it out of a soft case
isn't that maybe a NON safe thing to be doing to start with, having a loaded gun in a soft case??
I wouldn;t call that the action of a " well trained firearm owner "
or action of a responsible gun owner, period?
there is NO reason I can think of to have a loaded bolt action rifle in a soft case, and am GUESSING this was in his HOUSE< which means he maybe transported a loaded gun in his vehicle to get it there??

again a NON safe action and NOT what a " well trained firearm owner " would or should be doing!

I truly feel terrible for his family
and this doesn't correct a firearm with a flaw(that's is REM's fault I gather)
but accidents like this could have been prevented with GOOD honest gun safety, which all firearm owners should know HOW to do!

Just saying
the media again if used them words, sure didn't look into anything, as they contradict what " well trained firearm owner "
would do and know NOT to do in the first place!
just cause you have guns a LONG time, doesn't make you a " well trained firearm owner "
Trained, means he was just that, TRAINED< and if he was, he should be suing who trained him as well!
as they dropped the ball here as much as Rem did! IMO

^^ I think Bill is arguing the same point...

yes that was the point. 60 minutes described him as an expert to make it look like its a danger even in trained hands. No way the guy was an expert.

But if they said the guy was an idiot it wouldn't have made for a good story about the mean gun company. Again not taking Remington's side but they were made to look bad in that story.

did you see how this guy was taking the gun out of the case? EXPERT??? Seriously?? Who in their right mind take a gun out of case like that and there isn't a person that I know who stores a weapon loaded in a soft case.

Not a huge fan of the 700's anyway. Actions are kinda sloppy and the triggers are obviously garbage. leaves the barrel. Last time I checked Mauser action, Arnold Jewel trigger, bartlen barrel on a glass pillar bedded stock.. No worries about mis fires. ;)

And many of the common man can not afford the latter.

And many of the common man can not afford the latter.
I have seen people spend 1400 on a deer rifle and put a $150 Tasco scope on top of it. I would rather have a used $150 rifle with a Schmidt and Bender scope on top of it. I have seen people spend ridiculous money on the craziest things. Different strokes for different folks.. I would rather have a very nice set up for a rifle than one that is just out of the box.

Let me also clear on the air on one thing my buddy busted me on already. If you send your 700 to the Remington custom shop, than we are talking about a horse of a different color! Blueprinted actions, hand lapped barrel, aluminum bedding, and custom stocks. He has a Sendero from the custom shop with a Leica scope on top of it chambered in 300 weatherby. He hand loads all of his ammo and it literally can do same hole groups. I don't remember his trigger assembly and I have been busting his chops since this story hit 60 minutes LOL I keep telling him that I refuse to hunt near him now for fear of his (as I call it) 60 minutes gun. HEHEHEHHE I told him to box it up and send it back to have them repair it. I have been getting some good mileage on him.

Who would store a gun LOADED in a case ?? Forget the gun specs. Is safety the priority .......... or not ?? Prevent the accident - BEFORE it happens.

Thanks for the heads-up Red. Sure enough, my latest Remington is included in the re-call. I'll send it in, have them look it and correct anything that needs fixing. Personally, I would not give up this gun for anything, I just love the way it shoots. In spite of my best efforts, it really takes a beating during hunting season, and still drives tacks when called upon. I am glad Remington is erring on the side of safety, I don't know if all manufacturers would.

Thanks again for the link Red.

I own five Remington 700's. Two years ago, I lent one to a friend to use for deer hunting. When he returned the rifle at the end of the season he told me that the rifle had discharged while he was attempting to unload it. Fortunately he had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and no one was injured. I researched the problem online and found out about the Remington trigger recall. I called the Remington recall site and reviewed the models and serial #'s with them. I was informed that three of the five would have to be returned to a Remington authorized service shop to have the trigger mechanism's replaced. Not wanting to remove the scopes which is necessary to ship them, I called the nearest authorized shop and they agreed to replace the triggers while I waited. So I packed up the three rifles and drove the 200+ miles. While the rifle triggers were being replaced, I mentioned that the Remington recall site had told me that two of the five rifle triggers did not qualify for the replacement. The shop personnel informed that those two rifles also fell under the recall guidelines.
Once I returned home called the recall site and sure enough found out that the original answer that I received was incorrect and the two also were subject to recall. For these two, I elected to remove the scopes and send the rifles in for modification, not wanting to make the drive again. I wish that could have taken all five with me when I originally made the trip, but the important thing is that all of the rifles were repaired.
I still like and enjoy my 700's. They have accompanied me on many big game trips from the mountains of Alaska to the deer woods of Pennsylvania and a lot of places in between. They are all capable of sub 1" groups at 100 yards and are deadly if the crosshairs are on when I squeeze the trigger.