Remaining purchases for my tractor.

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
So I got my MF 135 running well. I changed one hydraulic line, and I changed the oil, and there is a little leak in one gasket, but we've got a guy who restores tractors coming on Saturday to take a look at her. He is the same one that spent about 2 hours (maybe only and hour and a half) to weld/fix the radiator. It didn't need to be recored, just the outside fixed. He only charged $70, and was really helpful just walking me through the machine showing me what might need to be replaced, and what DID need to be replaced (e.g. which hydraulic hoses) and not making me feel stupid when I had rookie questions :). He was there as soon as we called, and he's the father of our local pro shop bow expert. Real nice guy, and I'm thankful to have a resource that close. It certainly makes me feel a lot more confident in owning a tractor, especially since I'm not really mechanically inclined. Or better put, I've never really learned all of this stuff. I know the general stuff, but that's it.

We got a great 6-7ft. backblade, and a real heavy 6-7ft disk. It has a FEL.

So, now that I've kinda given an update on the tractor, I've found that there are a few things we still need/want.

1. Brush hog. I'm wondering what price/brands I should be looking for. Ideally I'd get a Bush Hog, but those are kinda few and far between on CL. I'm thinking in the 5 foot area. I'll use it to clear some brush (small A/O) and general mowing. What are other brands I should be looking for? When I go and check it out, what should I look at besides making sure it runs and that the gear box is in good shape?

Is something like this worth looking into? http://annarbor.craigslist.org/grd/5253046152.html

2. Cultipacker. Ideally I'd want a 7 footer so that I'm out past my tracks. The biggest thing I'm unsure about is what price I should be looking for.

This price seemed a bit steep. http://saginaw.craigslist.org/grd/5265161992.html

3. Tires. Right now I've got turf tires, and I definitely want to invest in ag tires. I'm thinking used, but again, I don't know what price point I should be looking for. I believe I've got 14.9/13-24. but I have to check that.
What ply should I be looking for? Is it worth buying used? Any brands to beware of? How much tread should a pair of used tires have?

Thanks for all of the help you guys!

If it were me.....and your tires are OK now......I'd try those turf tires before spending money on new ones. You might be surprised how well they work for you.

I'd buy that cultipacker shown above. Fair deal on a good model....IMO. Hard to find a cheap cultipacker these days.

I'd buy a new brush hog so you know what you've got.....or find a "cherry" used one. Look at the King Kutter brand to determine the lowest price for the new equipment you want.....and let that be your guide - if you go used.

I'd be concerned with the unit shown having grease on the deck ?? Signify's gear box trouble to me.....but it may check out well. If you were buying a "Land Pride" cutter new.....you would be spending $1500 or more.....IMO. So if it does "check out" well.....it would likely be a fair price. Rotary Cutters lead a hard life....beware!

I'd look for a 3 point spreader too. Cone type. Sometimes you see them used on CL.....or can find a deal on a new but weathered one. I paid $325 for a new KK / Cosmo spreader from a dealer whom wanted it gone.

Regarding Craigs List: You've got to mine allot of dirt to find a diamond......but the deals are out there....if your prepared.

Edit. Perhaps you have tried those tires already? Do you have ballast on the rear or fluid? How do they grip now? If you do go to ag tread.....try to find some with 50% or more tread....IMO. However, without some ballast on the rear or an implement....you may not get much traction with a loader on the front. Traction takes WEIGHT.

Also, you could invest in a set of chains to pull that disk.....it's about the only "traction implement" you have.

Last edited:
That cutter looks really rough. The packer looks to be a fair price. Like the rain master says try the turf tires first before dropping some bucks on new. Good luck.

Is King Kutter is good/solid brand? How about Land Pride?

That brush hog was just an example I found, I'd be willing to spend more $, I just wanted to give an example.

The turf tires kinda worked. I'll have to see next year when the dirt is a lot dryer. They worked alright, but got stuck a few times. Nothing serious, they just spun.

I bought a new King Kutter 5' Rotary Kutter when I bought my first tractor - about 6 years ago. I paid $525 for it....and viewed it as "disposable" as much of my land was quite ruff and needed cleaning and an initial cutting for trails and plots. I abused that Kutter in a big way, driving over stumps and rocks with it and lots of brush that it simply is not made for. Had it rebuilt a two years ago. I never broke the stump jumper or a blade......but the deck has some nasty gouges in it. The gear box came loose a few times at the bolts, etc......and I broke a multitude of shear bolts. Not much good at cutting grass anymore......but it's still ticking and the gear box and drive are just fine. I routinely cut up to 2" saplings with it.

This year I found a yet unused Brush Hog on Craigs List (bought but never put into service).....so I have kinda retired my KK except for clearing new ground occasionally. I may try to sell it....as it has served it's purpose and I don't have allot of that kind of work any longer. I'm sure it would look nice if I had babied it along. They are well made.....just low price....and viewed as a "light duty" cutter.

The dealers will tell you: that there are light, medium and Heavy Duty cutters available. Which do you need? Most of us are best served with a medium duty cutter for deer properties. Light duty cutters cut up to 1" or so saplings......medium duty up to 2" or so.......and HD up to 3 or even 4" saplings. After that.....its time for a chain saw.

One trick I learned from a fellow named "Roy" over at Tractorbynet.com.......is to lower your bucket with the lead edge up and perhaps a foot or so off the ground. Then as you go through heavy brush with the cutter.....if the font end of the tractor comes off the ground you likely have too heavy of brush to cut. That "gauge", of using the bucket has served me well. You also find a few stumps and rocks before they make it to the cutter. Just go slow and let the cutter work in the brush. ;)

This is obviously extreme duty for a tractor.....so you gotta use your head and beware of the dangers associated with cutting heavy, thick brush.

I found a King Kutter rotary cutter ("bush hog") for $250 (!!). I had to drive 100 miles for it, but I couldn't believe the price. I often use www.SearchTempest.com to look for stuff on Craigslist outside my area, as I am OK driving some distance to pick 'em up.

Everythingattachments.com seem to have some good deals also