All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recently Logged Property: What to do?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I am in the process of purchasing some land that was recently logged. It has a lot of downed limbs, tops and even some small trees (not sure why they were cut, then left to rot?). My question is, what is your opinion on what should be done? I like the looks of a clean woods and aesthetically would like to consolidate the tops and logs into piles and replant trees. The option of getting the logs out for firewood is pretty slim due to terrain and me not having the equipment to get them out. The hunter in me knows that if left, they offer great cover for all manners of wildlife and nature will replace the trees over time. I am just looking for opinions and realize there probably just isn't any "right" answer. Thanks for your .02 cents.

I would leave them at the site, they will rot down faster if left in place than piled.

Not going for a state park, but a wild jungle of sorts.

Id take the opportunity now to interplant a whole mess of native an non-native beneficials to the site.
Then be prepared to fight back any unwanted species right out of the gate so they don't get away from you.

Now would be a good time to start planning any food plots, orchards, trails, access routs, an water locations.

Sounds like a fun project, got a lot of options,
First step would be to sit down an analyze what you have, what you don't, what you want, an go from there.

Congratulations on your purchase! Not sure what region you're from but consider replanting a portion and/or developing a plan for natural regeneration of species that meet your long term objectives. In my region an un-managed clearcut will rapidly grow into mess of sweetgum, privet, ironwood, sourwood, elm and other undesireable species for both wildlife and future timber value. You'll get some browse and cover which is certainly a necessary component but also consider all the other elements of a balanced property.

Leave the tops. They will rot down quicker and also provide some protection from the deer for new growth. For example oak regrowth. Otherwise the deer will nip off the seedlings. Monitor invasive species. Logging is great for deer habitat and promotes new regrowth but it also gives invasive a chance to thrive. Like Buckthorn on my place. It looks ugly now but you will soon realize that logging was the best thing for your deer hunting. Much better than any food plot you could've put in.

I had mine done 3 years. It is just a hunting property. I would not do anything as far as cleaning it up if you want to improve your land for the wildlife. The cut tops and branches will protect the young trees. After about 3 years my land doesn't even look like it was cut, the new growth of trees and shrubs is unbelievable. If you want to replant some trees that won't come in naturally, I would say go for it, but the natural trees that grow there will most likely be the best. Planted trees will most likely need to be caged. A couple reasons that some of those smaller trees were cut and left could be non-desirable/invasive species and also they might of been crowding out a good tree. If two or more trees are growing to close together, the best tree should be left to grow. The poorer quality trees should be cut. This allows the good tree to thrive with less competition.

Consider getting a state forester or wildlife biologist to survey and inventory it and help you develop a management plan. They may be able to point out current or future problems that you can start addressing now.

Thanks for all the replies. I am excited about the prospects of it, just need to remind myself it is a marathon and not a sprint!

I am in the process of purchasing some land that was recently logged. It has a lot of downed limbs, tops and even some small trees (not sure why they were cut, then left to rot?). My question is, what is your opinion on what should be done? I like the looks of a clean woods and aesthetically would like to consolidate the tops and logs into piles and replant trees. The option of getting the logs out for firewood is pretty slim due to terrain and me not having the equipment to get them out. The hunter in me knows that if left, they offer great cover for all manners of wildlife and nature will replace the trees over time. I am just looking for opinions and realize there probably just isn't any "right" answer. Thanks for your .02 cents.

You absolutely should contact both a forester and a wildlife biologist as well as USDA. In my state, the state forester provides free advice and our game department biologists do as well. Develop a long term plan. There may be USDA programs you can use as well and they will come out for free and assess things.

In general, you are probably looking at a controlled burn if fuel levels are low enough followed by a herbicide application if the timber was hardwoods. Then planting pines. They are generally the best bet when balancing between wildlife and timber value. You didn't mention how much acreage, but presuming it is significant, consider dividing the property into management units so you can rotate timber management. Having different successional timber stands proximate to each other is of great wildlife value and timber rotation allows for this.

Thanks,

Jack

The 3 loggings my camp has done in the last 20 years have benefitted all sorts of wildlife. We left the tops lay as a couple guys above said. Tops decay and rot down quicker than you'd think. But while they are there, they do protect young seedlings and saplings from deer nipping them off. I have a retired state forester in the family and he suggested letting the tops lay. He was right !!

We also supplemented natural re-growth with Norway and white spruce, and caged some of the stumps to keep deer off the stump sprouts. Maple and oak stump sprouts are candy to deer, but they grow fairly fast if caged. We've had 4' to 5' of growth on stump sprouts in 1 year when caged.

Having a forester come and look at your property is a good idea for long-term planning.

If you like rabbit hunting you could drag some of the tops into a few big piles to give the rabbits a nice hiding place. They seem to survive the predators better if they have a few really large brushpiles in the same general area. Ruffed grouse also really like these brushpiles.

Other than that I'd just leave everything laying where it is. They will rot eventually and as mentioned previously those tops will help protect new seedlings.

When I did a clear cut of 10 acres of gnarly Scotch pine I had a D3 push all the left over tops and branches into huge burn piles. In the dead of winter and with adequate snow cover on the ground, I burned those piles down to nothing. The areas of the burn piles had the Scotch pines stumps taken out. They are some of my best small food plots. I got a great regrowth of oak, cherry and a small patch of aspens in the clear cuts. I believe that I got better and faster regrowth with this method.

I’d leave them lay. Lots of nutrients are tied up in those tops, besides the habitat value and lack of expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 loggings my camp has done in the last 20 years have benefitted all sorts of wildlife. We left the tops lay as a couple guys above said. Tops decay and rot down quicker than you'd think. But while they are there, they do protect young seedlings and saplings from deer nipping them off. I have a retired state forester in the family and he suggested letting the tops lay. He was right !!

We also supplemented natural re-growth with Norway and white spruce, and caged some of the stumps to keep deer off the stump sprouts. Maple and oak stump sprouts are candy to deer, but they grow fairly fast if caged. We've had 4' to 5' of growth on stump sprouts in 1 year when caged.

Having a forester come and look at your property is a good idea for long-term planning.

This is the time to plan diversity in your woods. Plant conifers if you have all hardwoods. Limit conifer regrowth in strategic areas if you see mostly conifer regrowth.

Get a plan!

Thanks again for the feedback. I walked the property yesterday and took notice of the already standing oaks and multiple oak saplings that have popped up. I will contact the Ohio Tree Farm Association soon and have a forrester come out and help we work up a plan.

Victor

Leave the tree tops! They will break down soon enough on their own. Only clear areas per your habitat plan. The additional sunlight is going to produce a ton of food and cover so just leave that alone and only clear your access trails and plot sites or areas for specific plantings. Cover and the value of it can not be overstated in it's worth in holding deer.....especially during heavy hunting pressure. We as people seem to like the look of "order"....but to be honest in most cases that doesn't work well with mother nature. Clear around the oaks you still have and the like to promote them, but the more of a nasty tangle the better. If you feel it is too thick you can always cut "sidewalks" for the deer to follow, but as the new growth thickens it will thin itself out over time as well. Good luck!

Plant some desirables in areas that will get adequate sunlight and definitely leaves the tops.

There is working hard sometimes just for the sake of it, and there is working smart. "Cleaning things up" and clearing tops IMO falls in the former category.

Just to add a bit on to my post......I wish I had NOT removed many of the tops when my place was logged. I saw the tops as a means to make some money and to be honest....I should have simply left most of them alone. Removing those for access and plantings is fine, but I removed those I simply had access to and I think that was a mistake on my part.

Speaking only from our own experience at camp after 3 loggings - leaving the tops lay was a positive. Deer browsed & bedded in them from night #1. Big maple tops made shelter AND easy browsing for the deer. The limb tips were cleaned off, and the heavier branches were protection for seedlings & stump shoots.

None of our 3 loggings was to clear for food plots.