All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rays Crazy Mix

nchunter1989

5 year old buck +
Anyone tried this stuff? Apparently based on Ray Archuleta's cover crop blend. Has cereal grains,vetch,clover,brassicas & winter peas. One thing I didn't know is that it has ryegrass.. Found that out once I got ready to open the bag. Seed supplier I buy from sells it for $60 a bag, apparently a few guys here plant most of their fields with it for cows & deer.. They have a Fall & Summer blend..

Knowing Ray's evangelism, I'm sure it is good for the soil. I find it much more economical to mix my own cover crop. It also allow me to tailor it for deer specifically. My only concern would be the ryegrass component.

Knowing Ray's evangelism, I'm sure it is good for the soil. I find it much more economical to mix my own cover crop. It also allow me to tailor it for deer specifically. My only concern would be the ryegrass component.

Yeah I probably would not buy it again, due to that.. I also like to spread my seed separately,or at least my larger seed first after dragging & then finishing with smaller seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rye grass a concern as mentioned

Local co op has a mix with all of above except rye grass for 36$

bill

You will regret planting the mix if it has rye grass in it. The rye grass assuming it is a perennial will spread and dominate, also very difficult to get rid of.

Keep in mind when buying a "cover crop" mix is that it's intended to be plowed under or killed off prior to planting. Also consider that many of those products are aimed at farmers who may graze as well. This is why it's important to read the tag. If it's a mix the bag should have (I think it's required by law) to have a tag listing all the contents and the ratio/amount of each seed. This is why many folks buy seed separately and then create their own mix. You get what you want, avoid seed size issues and your not creating issue down the road with "filler" type seed.

Keep in mind when buying a "cover crop" mix is that it's intended to be plowed under or killed off prior to planting. Also consider that many of those products are aimed at farmers who may graze as well. This is why it's important to read the tag. If it's a mix the bag should have (I think it's required by law) to have a tag listing all the contents and the ratio/amount of each seed. This is why many folks buy seed separately and then create their own mix. You get what you want, avoid seed size issues and your not creating issue down the road with "filler" type seed.

Yeah definitely smart advice. I normally do my own mixes, but hadn’t been able to get my brassicas from Hancock Seed.. I had just been talking with one of the employees & we went from talking about abruzzi rye to “oh yeah this mix has rye in it”.. looks like I will be spraying earlier than normal before I plant lab lab & peas next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro