Quick rye/wheat seeding rate question

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
I have two different mixes that I’m going to be fall planting that covers about 30 acres total. Some will be broadcast and some will be planted via my Woods seeder (about 50/50 of total acreage). About half is a mix of frosty berseem, balsana, crimson, and daikon radishes and the other mix is diakon radishes, turnips, rape, and crimson clover. Each of these mixes will be combined with rye or wheat with the predominant needs to be ground cover, early spring weed control (until the areas can be terminated as needed and planted in beans, corn or sunflowers) and nitrogen fixation. That being said I’m seeing wheat/rye rates recommended from 20-50# per acre; that’s a pretty wide range. If you were mixing a cereal grain with the above, how many # per acre makes sense to you?

It is prob. the drilled vs. broadcast rate.

It is prob. the drilled vs. broadcast rate.
Actually a lot of what I was reading was varying depending on what you’re mixing it with and the goals. Certainly drilled VS broadcast would be a consideration as well. Just curious what rates others are using.

I usually plant rye at least 50#, Dbltree recomended 50-80# rye and 50-120# oats for his cereal grain mix.

Actually a lot of what I was reading was varying depending on what you’re mixing it with and the goals. Certainly drilled VS broadcast would be a consideration as well. Just curious what rates others are using.
Would also have to consider if you are no tilling into it next year or tilling it under. Going to want to go on the lighter side if no tilling corn or beans into it.

I have two different mixes that I’m going to be fall planting that covers about 30 acres total. Some will be broadcast and some will be planted via my Woods seeder (about 50/50 of total acreage). About half is a mix of frosty berseem, balsana, crimson, and daikon radishes and the other mix is diakon radishes, turnips, rape, and crimson clover. Each of these mixes will be combined with rye or wheat with the predominant needs to be ground cover, early spring weed control (until the areas can be terminated as needed and planted in beans, corn or sunflowers) and nitrogen fixation. That being said I’m seeing wheat/rye rates recommended from 20-50# per acre; that’s a pretty wide range. If you were mixing a cereal grain with the above, how many # per acre makes sense to you?
From what I have read is WW seeds can actually vary significantly in size and this is why you will see such a large range. Really what you are after is seed count but for us food plotters I wouldn't worry. Even if you over seed, cereal grains don't typically choke themselves out. I have seen many people plant cereals at 100lbs per acre in a pure cereal stand. If being mixed with other things I have seen 50lbs per acre. This broadcasting and not drilling.

I never mix grains with brassicas. I mix clover with brassicas for the spring. Grains alone or in beans. And grains with clover in the fall as a spring nurse crop(oats excluded they won’t live til spring.)

I could be way off but I thought the grain competes to much.
LC never planted grain in his brassica mix but did add radishes to his grain mix.