All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about direct seeding

USC country

Buck Fawn
First off just want to say hello. I haven't been able to get on much since I moved over from the other site. Been busy with a newborn. I have some questions about direct seeding some sawtooths I picked up. When should I get them in the ground and do they need to go in the fridge for a while first?

Put them in the fridge to stratify over the winter but don't let them dry out. They don't germinate in the fall like white oak group so you don't have to fall plant. The advantage to early spring planting is that the acorns aren't exposed to rodent damage all winter long. Rodent damage will be worse in small fields with nearby trees (squirrels) or heavy cover ( mice rats etc). Hope that helps.

You will notice about Jan or Feb some will start to pop in the bag. Do not worry about this as long as the temp in the fridge is 34-36 degrees. Plant them in spring when the risk of frost is over and keep them protected or the mice will clean you out. As mentioned above keep an eye on the moisture if they dry out they are toast like any other acorn. Good luck!

Thanks for the input fellas