Question on dipping graft & scion in hot wax

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
First timer type question: This is my first year dipping scion and graft joint in hot wax. The wax is mix of bee's and gulf wax (about 50/50). Here's my question - will the wax cause a problem for the scion bud to expand and grow? I dip the scion quickly to prevent excess wax build up - just want to make sure I am not creating more problems or issue.
Thanks for your thoughts!

First timer type question: This is my first year dipping scion and graft joint in hot wax. The wax is mix of bee's and gulf wax (about 50/50). Here's my question - will the wax cause a problem for the scion bud to expand and grow? I dip the scion quickly to prevent excess wax build up - just want to make sure I am not creating more problems or issue.
Thanks for your thoughts!

I try to keep my wax warm but not hot. I haven't had any issues with buds pushing their way through the wax. I like the seal the wax provides and hopefully it prevents the scion from drying out. I saw the technique used at the grafting class I took, although maybe I saw Ben post about it too I can't recall.

I try to keep my wax warm but not hot. I haven't had any issues with buds pushing their way through the wax. I like the seal the wax provides and hopefully it prevents the scion from drying out. I saw the technique used at the grafting class I took, although maybe I saw Ben post about it too I can't recall.

Thanks for the reply CrazyEd ! I feel more comfortable knowing that you use a similar process!!

I've got a nasty can of grating wax mixed with Gulf wax that I use. It seems pretty thin so this year I did a double dip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They break right through it. Wax should be barely melted, not scorching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They break right through it. Wax should be barely melted, not scorching.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - I appreciate your input!!

I don't use it often anymore, but when I did break out the merribrooke melter, I used a mix of gulf wax and toilet bowl ring wax. I'm thinking roughly one part tb wax to three parts gulf wax, but I'd add one or the other till it looked right to me. Now days I use a sandwich bag tied above and below the graft, but I only do 15 to 20 trees or so each spring. Good luck with your grafts this year, I'm sure they'll do fine.

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1456916859000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1456916859000.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 14