Putting Urea down early

WI hunter

A good 3 year old buck
I have a small plot I will be putting barasicas down in about 2 or 3 weeks. We have a prediction of over an inch of rain tomorrow, so I was thinking of putting down some Urea tomorrow morning and letting it work its way into the soil. I assume that it will be around to help the barasicas later when they need it. I will be planting with throw n mow so I guess if anything it will just help my rye get a little taller before I cut it. Does this sound like a decent plan or am I just wasting it? Appropriate the help.

Peter

Typically you put urea down at the time of planting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't. Too little or too much rain between now and the time you plant and that nitrogen will be of little to no benefit to your crop.

Plant your brassicas when you want, add some ammonia nitrate 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 at planting (Ammonia nitrate won't evaporate into the air like urea will) and then hit it with urea about 4- 6 weeks later (3 to 4 leaves showing), when you are 100% positive you will get about a 1/4 of an inch of rain or more. Brassicas love nitrogen and they will benefit from 2 good feedings.

Plant your brassicas when you want, add some ammonia nitrate 34-0-0 or 19-19-19 at planting (Ammonia nitrate won't evaporate into the air like urea will) and then hit it with urea about 4- 6 weeks later (3 to 4 leaves showing), when you are 100% positive you will get about a 1/4 of an inch of rain or more. Brassicas love nitrogen and they will benefit from 2 good feedings.

This sounds like a better idea. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Where do you get Ammonia nitrate, any coop?

Most Coop's should have it in stock.

Its my experience that putting urea down causes the rain to go north or south of the area you applied it to.
Perfect, I thought that I was the only one that experienced this.

Putting some nitrogen down now will be fine unless you are on blow sand. Then top dress later for the rest. On our crop ground the first round of nitrogen got put on in mid April. We will be hitting it again in a week or two. If you get a chance to check out the CEC of your soil it is kind of a simple way to see how much nitrogen your soil can hang on to.

I am assuming you could get away with just adding one of the 2 amm nitrate mixes you mentioned above.

Sounds like the 2nd fertilizing is optional, but would certainly give them another boost.

I also learned the other day talking to my co-op guy that nitrogen needs biomass in the soil to affix to. So while there is a lot of focus on no-till methods, getting biomass turned back into weak soil has some importance.