All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puget Spice Crab (WSU AxP)

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
This is a crab I've rarely seen anyone else mention. I bought one from Cummins in 2016 on G222 rootstock. It is scab resistant and rated similar to Kingston Black for high quality cider. My tree flowered last year but I did not let it fruit. It is covered with blooms right now and I'll let it have a few apples this year but it doesn't have much structure yet to handle much fruit.

A photo of the ripe tree can be found here. http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/2015/01/PugetSpice31.jpg

20180513_155159.jpg

Pretty tree growing in clover...right on!

That's a nice looking tree.

Beautiful!

I've seen Puget Spice listed on a couple sites, but never saw a pic of one. It looks great !!

I recalled a post on here where someone had been talking about another somewhat popular crab and how it could possibly be a Puget Spice. So I just searched and found the thread, and indeed it was you, Chickenlittle, who had said it might be the 30-06 from Northern Whitetail! The pictures do look very similar. I have a few 30-06 in my nursery now that I'm predicting will be survivors.