PTO shaft question

^^^ yep, and if you march around the shed while cussing for just a minute or 2, I've found that you can sometimes come back stronger. Like building up your adrenaline.

Grease will gather dirt over time. Dry lube as mentioned earlier will make things slide better without the collection of dirt and grime. I think just keeping the pto and tractor splines wiped clean works better than old grease with the grime. WD40 will get things cleaned up to give you more clearance in the grooves of the spline and pto. When I bought my tractor it came will a rubber cover to slide over the tractor spline----I put that on the tractor whenever I'm not using the pto. Granted there are different styles of pto connections that are more difficult than others. Clean works better than dirty.

I am not sure about your tractor - and you may be doing it - but if I turn my tractor off, I can then turn the tractor splined shaft by hand - making it much easier to line up the collar on the bush hog pto. The hard part for me is holding the pto collar on the tractor shaft, depressing the collar, and sliding everything forward until it clicks. Usually take several cuss words.

We have a small ford with a cat 1 and the PTO spins free as long as it is not engaged. I've got a Kioti DK45 and the PTO does not spin whether the tractor is on or off. For hooking up something like a bush hog, I use a large screw-driver or metal bar in the other end of the PTO shaft to spin it slightly until the spines line up. It is sometimes difficult.

Thanks,

jack

I find the shafts best lubricated by 4-letter words, but if those are lacking, I use standard grease. If I have a collar connecter, I rarely run out of 4-letter words.

This is good stuff. You guys are making me feel better that it’s not just me. Maybe the next step is figuring out which 4 letter words seem to give the best end result......

I was hooking up a bush hog the other day - 100 feet from my house. Finally got it hooked up and walked to the house to get something before heading out. My 3 1/2 yr old grand daughter standing on the front porch said to me as I walked by “you mad, arent you”. Evidently, she has heard her dad hook up a bush hog before.

This is good stuff. You guys are making me feel better that it’s not just me. Maybe the next step is figuring out which 4 letter words seem to give the best end result......
I agree, I thot I was just and idiot trying to hook this stuff up sometimes. I use words that can't even be spelled sometimes. If it wasn't for equipment hassles I wouldnt have to go to church as often.

Pb blaster get the lock pun working well with the tap of a hammer. To get it to slide all the way on the shaft sometimes a a bigger hammer running it back and fourth will knock the rust out of the channels. Other option is to just go to tscand buy a new ptothey aren't that expensive

This is an art that takes time and practice to find the right combination of 4 letter words

A gratifying endeavor

bill