All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pruning T-budded Root stock

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
I had a big box store Kieffer pear top kill a couple years ago. The root stock grew back, it split into 2 leaders, both are about 5' total height and about the diameter of a finger. I t-budded both leaders this past summer at about 3.5' height and appears just one took. Where do I prune this and when? My thought was to prune just above the t-bud that took and leave the other leader on this growing season as a nurse branch. Then next winter prune off the leader with the failed t-bud. Is this a good plan of action?

I would prune off a couple of inches above the T-bud before bud break on the tree. You could leave the other leader, but it may prove dominant and suppress the T-bud from growing much. Its better to let the scion/ bud be dominant and leave other branches on a tree that are lower to serve as nurse branches.