Pruning chinese chestnuts question

nateb440

5 year old buck +
I’ve finally got great growth on around 100 Chinese chestnuts I planted around 3 years ago. As is typical, many of them are branching out quite low on the main leader. I’d like to train them to grow higher than wider. Should I prune these lower branches off and if so, Would you wait until dormancy before doing so? As always thanks for the advise.

There is only so much you can do to train chestnuts. Their general form is what it is. You can certainly prune off lower branches but at a cost. Dormancy is the time to do it. Keep in mind that chestnuts are difficult to graft because they tend to respond to injury but putting up new shoots from the roots rather than pushing the graft. If you prune too much I would guess you will get the same effect and it will become self defeating.

I do prune my Dunstan seedlings when small. Dunstans are a cross between Chinese and American. Some have more of the American taller from and some have more of the Chinese low branching form. Once they harden I stop pruning.

Thanks,

Jack

I prune off the low branches in early March..anything under four feet. They should grow wide on their own.