Protecting young apples and crabs

Mike Castillo

Yearling... With promise
I am embarking on my first tree planting project this weekend. I have about 18 crabs that will arrive from Northern Whitetail Crabs on Friday...My plan is to buy 200' of 60" welded fencing, and create 4 foot diameter protection cages for the trees so the deer don't destroy them. I have two questions...

1) What is the best way to stake this fencing to the ground? I could use a simple wooden stake and zip tie to it, or buy some more expensive metal posts and do the same. Obviously it would be much more expensive...

2) What about protecting the trunks from rodents? I was thinking plastic, spiral tree wraps. Is there a better way to go? Should I do this now or wait until the fall?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I use approximately 12.5 feet of welded wire fence per tree and that seems to work well. I use the standard ag T style fenceposts and attach them to the cage in 2 locations. I generally use aluminum window screen to protect against rodent damage. I cut out an 18" wide strip of the aluminum screen and staple it with a regular household stapler.

I've also used the white plastic trunk guards and they work well too. I've heard about the potential for moisture issues inside those guards, but I haven't had any issues when I used it. The trunk guards or screens can be put on in the fall. Just make sure either option reaches all the way to the ground so the critters can't slip between the dirt and the guard and get to your tree.

If you can - I'd recommend metal posts - old T-posts if you have some laying around or can find some, or metal conduit cut into 4' pieces.

The cages will be on the trees for several years and wood posts can rot or break off causing the cage to move or worse case even snap off the tree - I've had that happen using wood posts for tree tubes. I'd also use wire (electric fence works good) to hold the cage to the post as zip ties will get brittle and break off eventually and I want something more permanent.

I've used window screen on the trunks - easy to use and remove and reapply in the spring if you need to do some pruning on the bottom of the tree.

aluminum window screen around the trunk - 48" to 60" tall depending on your location and how much snow you get. Get a roll of the screen, cut to length, fold it in half and staple the top, bottom, and side with a common office stapler. Do not wait.

I screen before i plant.
J42pSeHDY-nbJmyox_U9wEU2CAgmiin0BnxGmkYI-SUzwuVqOJ87yjBMzNRPypk22FXALpQ_C9obuQFEuZXKcB9QJnEW4FBLOwa3hHwL4z7mAo6XfipoC7VxSZg-lI9_oDUAhAQp9zQoZsqZbd91sTsqX2gVKmTwBB7bpHvuO-3zHdZ31IQOFFdn7eSahAS2NdSZ_3tTEIUuSWoRCaZKGY3SvrYuf1wQhgOru8AEm3-vFHxovsK3p6Eey7cNTIVnjViocajlcDXzpS89jOW_ocGU0ctnzFOE6V1jULBZQxpdxVaG2EKNIdbGPKBBDDPEChH0ZRAQ04voHFlY74WNoSOpAgoizXm5He-zha6Ew4NOuxPptdSk3ahh89US6YWO0MVSahuN7JLdmM4zwRP2Vlu1u5bZ7EWUwWrhMP10n6RkmKBJtO8qJunkMH6f65HRjR2QQowsRE7N2up4N6opTP3FhIcIsaSaIwD9MkKiGZ0BeH2tKu9Zrvl_rEoS1J8dpvRjof9fbiRcoGkJd9NxiF_PowlDPfNn9jyKbbaaWO4XRWhShbyIokzMjT0B3NlOnjuZVPYqJB4KGSJhaqBBtOMwOaTwcZ3IZtewI6WQobJ_TuGj-HEQlKSzL87_7vezo_1utEdO1su0gLM6hf3PcXZ9ApKG2WhWsErgYXJ0LF4=w698-h930-no

Lots of good advice. I have had poor luck with wooden stakes. Deer just seem to push into them and break them off. I have moved to metal T-post stakes and have had no issues since.

I love emt conduit for stakes
If you buy 1/2" conduit at 10' lengths and cut them in half (use an old saw blade and cover your eyes and ears and hands!) they end up being about $1 each. Not as good as "free" but not bad.

I use the 1/2 inch electric conduit too. Same as NE Pa. I buy 10 ft poles and cut them in half. I usually use 3 per tree with the welder wire cage and zip tie them to the poles. Use the 5ft welder wire cage. Don't forget the window screen or u can do a lot of work for nothing.

For stakes I have done a couple of different things. I like "T" posts. I live in farm country and tend to be able to get them when folks are pulling old fences. One of the other options I use is a 1X or 5/4 decking board. cut the end at an angle and drive it into the ground at least a foot - I like having roughly 3 feet above ground. Then when you make your cage overlap the ends to essentially make a pocket. Then use that pocket to place the stake. I make my cages 5 feet high and a circumference of about 6 feet. I make narrow cages as I want to promote vertical growth - to get beyond the reach of the deer. Anything that sticks out beyond the cage the deer get (natural pruning) and thus the tree focus on growing up and not out! Yes the wood stake will rot after a few years, but with decent growth you only need the stake for a few years.

Here is one with the wood stake. Tree is a chestnut.
cage height.jpg

Here is the overlap section.
tree cage slip detail.jpg
tree cage slip.jpg

This allows me to easily lift off the cage to access the tree - I'm 6 feet tall so this works great for when the trees are smaller. I have also drilled a hole in the stake in a few places to allow better attachment points if needed as well in some cases. Most of the time the natural tension in the cage itself is all I need to keep the cage on the stake.

Another take on a similar practice - I like zip ties. They are cheap, I tend to get a year or two out of them before they break on their own and I can easily snip them with my knife to access the tree. Again with the narrow cage.
SW chestnuts 6-29-2015 2.JPG

In the 3rd pic above you can also see where I have used some "hardware" cloth (fine metal screen) to protect the trunk. VERY important to do this and keep in mind the amount of snow you get and to ensure the screen goes down to the ground....if not into the soil.

On my fruit trees I put down a weed barrier (that allows water to pass) and then cover it with gravel from the creek to keep weeds in check as well. I used to use wood mulch but lost a tree to voles chewing off support roots under the mulch.....no issues since I have switched to gravel.

Tag them (type and date)....I thought I would remember the few I planted.....I was wrong.

After you try different things you will find what works for you. Some like zip-ties, while others like light weight bailing wire. Some like metal takes other like wood. It's all a matter of what you have available and what you can reasonably get your hands on. As long as your keeping the deer and rodents off them.....that is what is important.

Agree with replies, aluminum screen on trunks and cage.
5' tall fence will help protect even more from deer pruning them back, I also like to use concrete remesh that way you can get by with one small stake so it evens out the cost on the fencing/posts.

Nice looking chestnut j-bird!

My plan is to buy 200' of 60" welded fencing, and create 4 foot diameter protection cages for the trees so the deer don't destroy them.

You are going to run out of wire if you are buying 200 ft and hope to put 4 foot cages on each. 200 ft would give you enough for just a little over 3.5 ft diameter cages and still do all 18 if you cut your wire at 11 ft intervals.

Nice on the stapler post @CrazyEd that was worth a laugh or 2!

Just a "quick math" trick I use to know how much fence I need......the diameter of the cage desired multiplied by 3 will tell you roughly the actual length you need per cage. Actual math is diameter multiplied by pi (3.14159....) - I keep it at three......I can multiply by 3 in my head! Another thing I do is that I know that when I spread my arms straight out from finger tip to finger tip is roughly how tall you are. I'm a little over 6 feet tall so I can use that info to "measure" as well if needed. Yep.....I got too much time on my hands!

Thanks guys this is really great! I am headed to the store to get the supplies now and the trees were delivered this morning. Thanks!

Mike C. - I too use 5' tall concrete re-mesh for cages and aluminum window screen to protect the trunks. Do all your protection right away - as soon as you plant your trees - or you may be very sorry !! The pic that Crazy Ed posted at post #4 is the same exact method I use on my trees. As the trees grow and the trunk expands, the staples will rip out on their own - or you can help them - and you get total mouse/vole protection.

I run my screen all the way down into the dirt and put a 40" x 40" piece of landscaping cloth all around the tree. Then I pile 3" to 4" of crushed limestone gravel on top of the landscape cloth to cover the entire piece of cloth. This puts the screen 3" to 4" below the stone surface, making life miserable for any tunneling mice or voles that try to get to your tree trunk to chew it. Using this method for 5 years now, we haven't had any problem with mice/voles chewing and girdling our trees.

In the 3rd pic above you can also see where I have used some "hardware" cloth (fine metal screen) to protect the trunk. VERY important to do this and keep in mind the amount of snow you get and to ensure the screen goes down to the ground....if not into the soil.

Can you please explain how the snow amount is relevant to the height of the screen on the trunk? I'm planting my first apple trees next weekend and have 3' high screen. I'm in the UP of MI. I can't figure how the snow would matter.

Can you please explain how the snow amount is relevant to the height of the screen on the trunk? I'm planting my first apple trees next weekend and have 3' high screen. I'm in the UP of MI. I can't figure how the snow would matter.

Chummer and others are the experts on this. I'm not sure how much snow you get UP there (hilarious, I know), but small critters and rabbits can walk atop frozen snowpack to gnaw on your tree trunks several feet above the base of the tree. so if you regularly have 2' of snowpack, at least a 3' tall screen would be necessary to keep rodents away when they are able to get around on top of the snow. Check the actual numbers with someone well-versed (I.e. How far above snowpack needs to be screened), I only get 30" a year.....chummer gets 30" a day up there north of siber-a-cuse

Yep - like NE PA QDM stated the snow can act as a "ladder" and allow small critters to access the bark of your trees by being on top of the snow that they do not have that advantage during other parts of the year. Like he also mentioned folks like Chummer get feet and feet of snow regularly.

Yeah, I had some extra damage after our March blizzard dumped 3ft. I got out into my backyard nursery to shovel and add temporary cages before I got my driveway cleared out. Rabbits still found the couple that were not well protected and chewed off those trees off at the snow line.

A bunny is a good meal! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: