Protecting New Grafts from predicted 25 degrees

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Will it work?
fe7235b5e4727b87d6884efd81dc9c8e.jpg

17503dd9e9368b3415b37e2c299f5a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure can't hurt. I'd make sure there isn't any gaps between the ground and the bottom of the bag where cold air can come in.
I wonder if sticking a disposable hand warmer inside the bag would help?

My 2 cents ... I dont think I would worry about them at 25 degrees. I think they will be fine. Those temps definitely stop the callousing process, but those scions go through all types of temps in nature.

On second thought I don't think the hand warmer would last until morning when it would be the coldest. Plus I wonder if the heat would draw moisture inside the bag and possibly cause problems.

Looks good. Just be sure to pull them off when it warms back up.

One year I put plastic sleeves like you wear when gutting out a deer over my grafts for a cold night.
Yup, pull them off as soon as the temp rises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents ... I dont think I would worry about them at 25 degrees. I think they will be fine. Those temps definitely stop the callousing process, but those scions go through all types of temps in nature.
Would this mostly apply to grafted scions that are showing leaf growth or just those that are still dormant?

Would this mostly apply to grafted scions that are showing leaf growth or just those that are still dormant?
dormant

Thanks for your reply Chris. I was afraid of that. So if there are two buds on the scion section of the grafted rootstock and none under the tape and the buds are showing green leaves and they get froze with a twenty-five degree freeze and of Course turn black and shrivel up then is there a chance that scion will grow any more or is it over for that scion?

Last edited:
It is likely not going to grow, unless there is somehow a latent bud that has not broken dormancy yet. The following growing seasons buds are not mature enough until generally much later in the growing season. There will be no way for those buds to form if the scion doesnt actively grow.

Thanks Chris, that is what I was afraid of. Again today the ground is covered in frost. Am just hoping that some of those that have a bud under the grafting tape will pull through. Will plant some more grafted rootstock today as this is the last expected Freeze. The cold two nights ago turned the fiddle head ferns that had dared to break dormancy black and limp; this was the first year I have ever seen that.