Proper Order

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
For those of you who disc plots. On the day I plant can you put these items it the order it should be done. Planting Rye on a first time plot (1 acre). My thought is as follows:

1. Disc/cultipack same time
2. seed
3. Fertilize
4. Cultipack

Thanks, Ray

That order will work.

My only question is are you fertilizing to fix a deficiency?
If not don’t spend the $ on fertilizing rye. It will grow in the back of a pickup. Now if you know something is lacking that’s another story.

For those of you who disc plots. On the day I plant can you put these items it the order it should be done. Planting Rye on a first time plot (1 acre). My thought is as follows:

1. Disc/cultipack same time
2. seed
3. Fertilize
4. Cultipack

Thanks, Ray

There is no one way to do it. You don't need to cultipack twice for most seeds. In general, you want to Disc before you seed and Cultipack afterwards. Fertilizing can occur anytime. I agree with Bill, most of the crops we plant in the fall for deer don't require fertilizer, especially WR. Unless you have a specific deficiency it is an expensive step that is not necessary. Also, if this is your first time, you did not mention lime. If your soil needs the pH adjusted, lime would be the first thing you would apply, optimally, months before planting. If your pH is too low, don't waste money on fertilizer with WR.

Thanks,

Jack

I am quite low on P and K that is the reason for fertilizing.

For rye I would skip the cultipack step after discing and before seeding as it is a big enough seed and getting about 1" covered with soil is good. For fine seeds like white clover that do better with maybe 1/4" of soil coverage I do find that cultipack/seed/cultipack is better. BTW my soils are sandy loam and I do not have to worry about any busting up any large clods of dirt from discing.

Here is a typical pic after discing that I'm talking about that I would just broadcast over no cultipack first. My buddy did this for my plot because his Van Brunt style drill likes fluffy soil to plant into (turnips, radish, rape, and a light mix of winter wheat). When I do it myself I just broadcast.DSC01191 (Large).JPG

If you are adding fertilizer for a P/K deficiency like you mention I’d put that on before you disc. Your soil looks fluffy I’d cultipack twice. So it would look like this.

1. Broadcast fertilizer
2. Disc
3. Cultipack
4. Broadcast seed
5. Cultipack
6. Read TNM thread and stop discing

Rye is foolproof. I would spray, fertilize, disc, cultipack, broadcast seed. If you felt the need you could cultipack again but no need.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have read hours of throw and mow and that will be my plan for next spring/summer when I broadcast buckwheat.

Ray

If you are adding fertilizer for a P/K deficiency like you mention I’d put that on before you disc. Your soil looks fluffy I’d cultipack twice. So it would look like this.

1. Broadcast fertilizer
2. Disc
3. Cultipack
4. Broadcast seed
5. Cultipack
6. Read TNM thread and stop discing
I was told by many farmers that tilling/discing fertilizer is a waste of fertilizer for foodplot type crops. The reason being is now the fertilizer will be deeper in the soil where many species of foodplot items will not have deep enough roots to access especially when the rain starts driving the fertilizer down even deeper in the soil. They say the only time they would disc fertilizer in would be if it is a very dry part of the year with the sun beating down for nitrogen/urea type fertilizer. For most plot applications it is best to fertilize on the surface right before a rain.

You disk it in to help the fertilizer break down. Chances are this years crops aren't going to use any of the P&K anyway until it breaks down and become plant available. Nitrogen on the other hand is different. Spreading on top before a rain is the way to go.

Farmers use fertilizer to maximize yield and replace some of what they extracted at harvest. Good deer managers focus on soil health and OM maximizing natural nutrient cycling. For us, fertilizer should be a temporary drug used to deal with prior abuse until we can nurse the soil back to health.

I realize these are long-term advanced concepts that took me years to begin to understand, but new food plotters while having fun and following the standard recipe, should start thinking and learning about them.

Thanks,

Jack

I was told by many farmers that tilling/discing fertilizer is a waste of fertilizer for foodplot type crops. The reason being is now the fertilizer will be deeper in the soil where many species of foodplot items will not have deep enough roots to access especially when the rain starts driving the fertilizer down even deeper in the soil. They say the only time they would disc fertilizer in would be if it is a very dry part of the year with the sun beating down for nitrogen/urea type fertilizer. For most plot applications it is best to fertilize on the surface right before a rain.
I don’t disc anymore but even when I did it was never more than 2 or so inches deep. I am into year 2 with no fertilizer.

I am definitely going to move toward no till. Soil will surely need a bunch of work. I am starting with Rye and I will throw and roll buck wheat early summer next year and then go from there. Thanks for all the great responses.

Ray

As Jack has mentioned several times, google up Ray "the soil guy"

That will get you started into soil health

bill