Project W: Columnar Apple Shot Plot

Three of the four that had major surgery leafing out. The last one is less than a foot tall and has no visible scion buds and probably gets replaced. The shortest one leafing out needs a little chickenwire cage in case a rabbit thinks those few leaves are worth a bite.

20190427_114928.jpg20190427_114930.jpg20190427_114923.jpg

Columnar seedlings started in 2016. I was hoping a couple had flower buds but doesn't look like it now.

2016 columnar seedligns.jpg

Last year's seedlings. A few that looked non-columnar got pulled last fall and a couple more will go if they branch a lot this summer. A couple red leafed ones but not in this pic.
2018 columnar seedlings.jpg

Not quite in focus. This is Tasty Red/Rondo that is covered with flower buds all the way up to about 7ft. Hopefully our forecast of 27F tomorrow night leaves me some apples this year.
.20190427_114907.jpg

Any frost must not have been much cause that Rondo is pretty well loaded. Hoping for a bumper crop of seeds to plant next spring. I've completely missed flowering on my parent's farm. Excited to get down there this weekend to see what things are like and if my original shot plot will have enough apples that I should put a game camera on it.

And as I checked tonight, even the tree I chopped off at about 10" tall is starting to push some buds. There weren't many obvious buds but it is pushing 4 or 5 buds above the graft. Apples are amazingly tough. Will surely be 8ft tall again in a couple years.
20190606_182440.jpg

Bummed out. I visited my folks this weekend. My original shot plots are fine but not many apples yet. The bad thing was my second shot plot planting. I transplanted 8 columnar trees fall 2017/spring 2018. 6 are dead. North/bottom edge of an old field. I don't think they put on much growth last summer but looked ok. I gave the dead each a pull and each was solidly attached. Good caging and window screening. I'll dig them up next time and see if i can figure out a cause. I think 1 rootstock was alive and pushing growth.

That sucks, my grafting attempts mostly failed last year. Irish spire did take and is growing well.

I'll also have to look at the tags on these dead ones. Looking at my notes, they were mostly MM106 which should have done fine in that location. And the two survivors are Scarlet Sentinel which has proven to be the longest to come into production for me. Haven't tasted one of those yet from my tree planted in 2015. I still have a trees I can move to this location that will be larger and on other rootstocks.

Scarlet sentinel appears to be the P1360032.JPGbest producer for me. 5 fruit this year.

Follow up to my dying shotplot. I visited over the weekend and wanted to investigate more to see if I could find a cause. I found the 2 that had looked healthy were now defoliated and looking to die. I removed the cages and screening and found all were still alive but the tops were dead or dying. I decided to pull them all up and replant in my home nursery. All but one or two should still have live scion that hopefully will recover. Two might only have the rootstock survive. Cause was not obvious but there are some big walnuts nearby that I had not cut down yet. I'll get those cut down before I try replanting at spot.

A short update. This project continues slowly but the currently available varieties have disappointing. I still have some of the Stark Spires that are just starting to fruit and I'm interested how they turn out. The only two varieties that have been fruited well drop too early, Maypole Crab and Golden Sentinel. The low productivity explains why columnar trees were not adopted by commercial orchards and instead marketed to backyard growers. I haven't grafted any columnar trees in the last 2 years.

This spring I had flowers on a Stark Scarlett Spire and Emerald Spire that were planted in 2016. One set an apple last year but it dropped early. A Crimson Spire that I bench grafted in 2015 has its first apples this year. The Scarlet Sentinel planted in 2015 may still not have any apples although it has flowered. A columnar Wijcik Macintosh that I T-budded in 2015 has not flowered yet. It was topped by rabbits in 2017/2018 when we had a deep snow. It has recovered and should flower in a year or two.

I had 4 trees that were hit by fireblight in 2018, mostly from the Urban Apple series. I chopped those off below the infection in the central leader. Those all recovered and look real healthy. Even the one that was less than a foot tall made it. Hopefully they start fruiting again next year.

I have seedlings to evaluate in the backyard that were planted in 2017 and 2018. I continue to examine them and pull out ones that don't look columnar or are not healthy. Those planted in 2017 were chewed off by rabbits at the snow line (about 3" tall) that winter. They are 3-6 ft tall but none have flowered. Ones planted in 2018 are 1.5-3' tall. I didn't have enough seeds to start trees in 2019. I did have enough apples last year to collect seeds but did not start any this spring either. I'll leave those in the fridge, collect more, and try next spring if I have time and space. Most of my nursery space has been allocated to pear trees but many of those will move out this fall or next spring.

I'll continue to monitor the shot plot I planted on my parents. It should have a few more apples this year. I do not expect it to become huntable with the current varieties. I need some of my seedlings to turn out really productive like the Maypole crab but hold into October for this to be useful. If 2 or 3 seedlings turn out, I might get excited again. But seedlings are a numbers game and growing columnar apple seedlings isn't something I will put much effort into. It is likely that this will continue to be a backyard curiosity. Regular apples, pears, and chestnuts will be my main attraction for October and apples, pears, and persimmons for November, December, and into January.

Good prod as I had been thinking about posting an update.

My thoughts haven't changed. Columnar trees are cool for the backyard but not part of my hunting plan. They just aren't productive enough.

Here are 2 photos today of the trees in my backyard in NY. They can take a "candelabra" shape with branches becoming vertical stems. I pruned hard this spring to get them back into shape. The tallest are 13-14ft tall. The ones I pruned off after fireblight in 2018 are healthy and 6-8 ft tall. After our late hard frost, I don't think I'll get any fruit in NY but trees at my parents in PA will have fruit.

The trees back by the fence in the 2nd photo are seedlings I started in 2017/18. I pulled out and discarded trees that branched too much to be columnar. Looking recently, there are a couple more I'll discard that may be dwarf but have branched too much to be columnar. One columnar seedling flowered last year and produced some small yellow crabs that held late. Several more flowered this spring but I didn't see that any fruit survived the frost. I keep having occasional vole and rabbit damage in the backyard so I grafted all the older seedlings in 2021 and transplanted those to my parents last fall.

I took a few years off from collecting seeds but started more 2 falls ago. I built a new nursery bed with buried window screen border to keep voles out and rabbit fencing. I spread a bunch of seeds in late fall and raked them in to the soil. Along with columnar apples, I planted seeds from a neighbor's persimmon and paw paw. That worked great and you can those seedlings in the nursery bed. I'll keep discarding non-columnar ones and transplant them somewhere out of the way to grow out. Last fall, I collected the new columnar yellow crab seeds and spread those in another section of the nursery. I have room to do more plant more seeds this fall from apples collected in PA. Compared to starting indoors, I really like this as a low effort way to start seedlings.

oldest trees.jpgoldest trees2.jpg