All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potted red osier

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Can I cut it at the base into two shrubs?

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 24
I would do cuttings off of some of those branches over splitting the main trunk. It may be possible to split it in half if each side has enough root structure to go with each side and that the injury isn't to bad but I'm going to guess and say that below the potted soil line the trunks are tied back into each other more than they are rooted separate. You would have to expose more of the root structure to know for sure if the gamble would be worth it. Others may weigh in different.

I agree with cavey, I would just start cuttings off the top. ROD is a very tough shrub so splitting it might work, I really don't know?

I can cut these thin twigs and replant them? How many buds do I need?

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 11
I would pot them (Cuttings),around two to three bud sites below soil and two above, they have broke dormancy so sooner the better, keep the soil damp... thats what i would do, i don't dip mine in rooting compound.

John sells yellow twig dogwood (different color phase of the same plant). It can be propagated by cuttings as others have said. Two bods below the soil and 2 above. John sent me a few cuttings for free with one of my orders years ago. I started them in roottrapper bags under lights in the winter indoors and then transplanted them to the final location in the spring. I didn't take them to the farm for habitat but used them around the house as landscaping. I've taken cutting from those and continued propagating.

As for splitting them, I'd pull back the medium a bit to see what you have. Some of mine have branched below the medium. I thought they are two different shoots but they ended up being a branching. In my case you could not have easily separated them. That may or may not be the case for you.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the info, guys.