Poor soil plots

So new hunting spot is in s. Ohio rolling hills and surrounded by woods. As you might have guessed ph low as in 4.7 Put down lime and fertilizer planted end of June buckwheat and clover. Came in nice considering soil . Plan to plant in early September Winter rye and more clover. Will retest soil in spring . What else would you plant to build soil?

I am also in the hills of Ohio. I have a an acre to plant. I am doing Rye, Clover and Radishes. First year planting for me also.

Ray

Good luck to you. Did you do a soil test? Over in Ironton it is sand and clay.

The PH was 5.4. I put 2400 lbs of lime throughout the year. I am sure it will be fine and I will soil test again in the spring. My property is outside of South Webster.

I would add 50 lbs/acre of buckwheat. It’s pH tolerant and a great weed suppressor.

So new hunting spot is in s. Ohio rolling hills and surrounded by woods. As you might have guessed ph low as in 4.7 Put down lime and fertilizer planted end of June buckwheat and clover. Came in nice considering soil . Plan to plant in early September Winter rye and more clover. Will retest soil in spring . What else would you plant to build soil?

Avoid tillage to conserve what OM you have. If you think the pH will be good by fall, you can plant perennial clover with the WR and then just manage it as a perennial clover plot for 5 years or so.

Thanks,

jack

I added radishes last September to my hill country (Appalachian mountains) poor soil plot. The cereal grain and clover never really took off until spring and the brassicas (radish, rape and PTT) didn't add up to much. I'm still adding radish this year for added diversity but planted late in poor soil, I just don't think you get the soil benefits you would if they were planted early with time to develop a bigger plant.

I'm in NC, zone 6b, elevation 3,000 ft. Lime has been added twice, initial PH was 5.6. I'm sure it's 6+ and climbing at this point.

Did you til or do no til, weekender?

Ray

Did you til or do no til, weekender?

Ray

No till. I had a dozer clear the brush and tree tops off the ~1 year old clear cut. Just added seed and lime, 12 inches of rain arrived one day later. Probably too much rain but better than none. I'll add pictures of the progression.

Freshly cleared plot September 2018. Seed and lime added immediately and lots of timely rain followed.

IMG_6006.JPG

November 2018, plot at lip level. not exceptional growth inside the exclusion cage but you can definitely see a difference.

IMG_6643.JPG
IMG_6657.JPG

May 1st 2019, cereal grain and crimson clover bolt.

IMG_8637.JPG
IMG_8650.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! How many lbs of both seeds did you use?

Looks good! How many lbs of both seeds did you use?

Way more than recommended! We had a hurricane on the way and I knew we’d get lots of heavy rain. You can’t see it all in May but I planted:

WR
WW
Oats
CC
MRC
Radish
PTT
Rape

Somewhere around double the recommended rate to overcome bare dirt, steep grade and heavy rain (hurricane) on the way.

I added 20 pounds of WR to the .6 acre plot in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk