Pomiferous.com

PoorSand

5 year old buck +
I just ran across this website today while looking for information on an apple variety not found in a GRIN accession search. This website was new to me. I don't know one way or the other how good the information is. https://pomiferous.com/

The pollination group classifications and harvest group classifications are different from the US classification systems. For example, Rome Beauty is listed as pollination group D and harvest period 4.

Just FYI. I did some more snooping around this website this evening. Some of the info on it is info I have never seen spelled out on the Orange Pippin or GRIN websites.

The Florina info says "Harvest: Ready for harvest at the end of the fourth period and resists dropping well beyond full ripeness."

The Galarina info says "Harvest: Ready for harvest at the end of the fourth period. The fruit will hang on the tree well after maturity."

The Co-op 38 (GoldRush) info says "Harvest: Requires a long growing season and is ready for harvest starting in the middle of fifth period. Fruit tends to hang even after fully ripe."

The harvest info on Kerr, Enterprise, and Liberty was pretty sparse.

Wow…at first glance, I am very impressed with this resource. Good find PoorSand, I’m glad you’re prowling for apple-data instead of sleeping!

I only looked at two varieties, Idared and Florina, but in both cases the information provided on this site is consistent with what I see with my trees. The Idared description matches my experience to a tee… “Moderately vigorous, spreading spur bearers Precocious. Bears annually with consistently good crops.” “…the fruit tends to hang well.” My Florina (Querina-Florina) is still quite young, but the one apple I left on it to grow is still hanging, so this seems to confirm their observation, “…resists dropping well beyond full ripeness.”

The one piece of data that could be really useful is the “Harvest” data. I am not sure what the “periods” are, but in the case of the Idared, the fourth period is defined as 160-170 days from blossom. This would allow the guys in Mississippi and Virginia, as well as the guys from Wisconsin and Minnesota, to get a handle on when they really can realistically expect fruit to ripen in their region.

Good stuff PoorSand. Thanks!

I snooped around the site again some more, by searching on the names of some of the scion varieties available at https://www.masonvilleorchard.com/scionwood.html. The varieties Apricot, Burford Redflesh, and Hokuto looked interesting for what I am doing. I wish there was more disease resistance information available though.