PlotStart by DeerGro

Have never used it or even heard of it to be honest with you. I have always used crushed limestone I believe 60/69 or 80/89 is commmon around here with great results. If you have quarries nearby check with them or talk to any farmers. In my opinion it would be the best bang for your buck. Good luck!

There are old threads on here dealing with the details. Bottom line... No magic beans! Chat with one of your local farmers. If it was a cost effective way to adjust pH, farmers whose livelihood depends on efficiently producing crops would jump on it. Also keep in mind that AG lime varies in quality significantly. ECCE is the key parameter when looking at the effectiveness of lime. Read the old threads on here for details.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm looking to use it on small plots that are impossible to get to with a lime truck. I've been using pelletized lime and I was hoping someone was familiar with PlotStart as an alternative.

I looked at it a couple years ago. Everything I found on it said it works quickly, but doesn't last long(6 months tops). And even at that it's effectiveness did not get very good reviews. I ended up getting bagged lime from Fleet farm and spreading by hand on the plots I could get equipment into.

Here is a previous thread on the subject: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/bioliquid-calcium.6218/ After rereading it, I recall that most of the detailed technical aspects regarding why it is an extremely expensive approach to achieve the same pH adjustment you will get from lime. Unfortunately, that forum is defunct and we lost some good info.

Instead of a lime truck, I spread my ag lime using a lime buggy I rent from the coop. I've done small remote kill plots as small as a tenth of an acre. You might want to check to see if there is one available for rent in your area.

Thanks,

Jack

To me the deergro products look like bandaid fixes to get someone through a year and who knows what type of long term effects it has on soil health. I don’t think I would entertain the idea anymore, lime can be had for pretty cheap, my local feed store is selling a crush variety that can still be spread with a broadcast spreader for $2.55 for a 50lb when purchasing 20 or more. $3.11/50lbs if just buying individual bags.

How big are your kill plots going to be? Do you have lime recommendations from a soil test or are you going off of BOB liming recommendations?

Some poor weather predictions and a broken down lime truck prevented me from liming my plots last year. I decided to give PlotStart a try. My plots never looked better or produced more. I was very happy with the plots. I did not pull soil samples for a before/after pH comparison. We had a decent growing season, so that didn't hurt either.

Some poor weather predictions and a broken down lime truck prevented me from liming my plots last year. I decided to give PlotStart a try. My plots never looked better or produced more. I was very happy with the plots. I did not pull soil samples for a before/after pH comparison. We had a decent growing season, so that didn't hurt either.

Did you do both the plotstart and plotboost?

Did you do both the plotstart and plotboost?
No, just PlotStart.

No, just PlotStart.

It’s an interesting product for sure. What did you plant? I think I heard somewhere one application, in theory raises the soil ph 1 full point. I just don’t see how it could last in the soil very long, but maybe it lasts long enough to get the plant started and taking up a lot of nutrients before it disappears.

No, just PlotStart.

It’s an interesting product for sure. What did you plant? I think I heard somewhere one application, in theory raises the soil ph 1 full point. I just don’t see how it could last in the soil very long, but maybe it lasts long enough to get the plant started and taking up a lot of nutrients before it disappears.
I planted the LC mix.

I've been looking at this stuff too. My understanding is that it works quickly, but doesn't last very long. My interest is because I'm only planting about a 1/4 acre, so the cost is a non issue, and the soil is very acidic (4.5). My thought was to add peletized lime now, and then use PlotStart at time of fall planting to temporarily boost the pH while the lime works it's way into the soil. With all that being said, I have zero experience with PlotStart, so I'm not all that helpful.

Lots of folks are saying that it "can't work", yet I've never heard of anyone who has actually tried it and was disappointed. I'd say try it and report back to us.

How is it applied? Do you just add water and spray out of a normal atv sprayer?

How is it applied? Do you just add water and spray out of a normal atv sprayer?
Yes, easily applied.

Lots of folks are saying that it "can't work", yet I've never heard of anyone who has actually tried it and was disappointed. I'd say try it and report back to us.

I don't think folks are really saying it "can't work" they are saying the claims are overblown (probably comparing to Ag lime with very low ECCE for the numbers posted on the web site). Liquid will work more quickly. With a shallow rooted crop you may in fact see good results. The LC mix does not require much soil fertility. You would likely see much different results with deep rooted row crops that require higher fertility levels.

I think the "can't" arguments boil down to chemistry. In order to get the same effect for the same duration, the cost of liquid CA is much higher than high ECCE ag lime. This is not to say that there is no place for the product. Simply that it is a niche product, not the most cost effective way to adjust pH. If it were, my farmers would be all over it! Cost is rarely a consideration for a couple of small attractant kill plots. For those trying to provide quality deer food on scale to improve the health of the local herd, it is an important consideration.

Thanks,

jack

I don't think folks are really saying it "can't work" they are saying the claims are overblown (probably comparing to Ag lime with very low ECCE for the numbers posted on the web site). Liquid will work more quickly. With a shallow rooted crop you may in fact see good results. The LC mix does not require much soil fertility. You would likely see much different results with deep rooted row crops that require higher fertility levels.

I think the "can't" arguments boil down to chemistry. In order to get the same effect for the same duration, the cost of liquid CA is much higher than high ECCE ag lime. This is not to say that there is no place for the product. Simply that it is a niche product, not the most cost effective way to adjust pH. If it were, my farmers would be all over it! Cost is rarely a consideration for a couple of small attractant kill plots. For those trying to provide quality deer food on scale to improve the health of the local herd, it is an important consideration.

Thanks,

jack
I agree with all of the above.

I used Plot Start and Plot Boost 2 years ago and the result was lush full food plots. I plant Frigid Forage Plot Down Clover and Big & Beasty in my plots. The following year I rotated the plots around and didn't apply the PS or PB to them. Lets just say less then stellar results. Had to till everything under and started over. Plant and sprayed plot start and waited 2 weeks and sprayed plot boost. Results nice green food plots going into the season. My plots are in spots that I can't get a lime truck into. IT took me awhile but I applied the required Lime and fertilizer to all of the plots as required according to the soil test. So my answer is yes it works, deffinently helps in my opinion.

Terry is convincing me that my plan may not be a bad one.

Peplin Creek, what would some of your long term concerns be for soil health? I'm interested in trying it out for short term gains, but I sure don't want to screw things up long term.