All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting tree plugs..

Needmorebrush82

5 year old buck +
I need some feedback on planting tree plugs. They will be 20 cubic inch plugs and I honestly have no experience with plugs. Would it be better to put these in gallon bags and baby them or is that even a relevant idea with plugs? Would the root structure be suitable for fall planting as is? I have not seen them in person as of yet so I can't give a description of the root mass associated with them. I am very familiar with planting and upsizing with rootmaker products. Any information would be welcomed!

I looked at that size once.....they have roots about the size of an aluminum can.

Regarding planting them......you are going to have to get some semblance of a hole opened up, not sure on the best way though as I have always planted the little 4As with the stomping tool.

I think you should be OK to plant about now for good life over winter. May want to bud cap them if they aren't protected too!

You can plant plugs in the fall, yes. I have done it many times with good survival.