All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

planting/rotation suggestions

Powder

5 year old buck +
A couple weeks ago I got permission to hunt a good sized piece of land with a large field. The field has different sections in it, most of which are cut by a local farmer. There is one area about 3 acres that has not been cut in a few years and is tall grass/weeds. The owner will let me put in what I want. The area that I want to do something with is roughly round. My plan was to plant a 20 ft wide strip if clover around the outside. This will leave approximately 2 acres. I'm thinking about putting half of it ptt/radish mix but I'm not sure what to do with the rest. My reason for splitting was so I could flip flop sides each year. Am I overthinking this? Should it just be the same mix in the entire thing?

I'm open to suggestions on what to plant and how to rotate it.

Personally, I prefer mixes over rotating strips of monoculture. Diversity of plants support each other. I'm not saying there is never a situation where a monoculture rotation m be best, but in general I like a mix better for both soil and deer. I actually rotate mixes. I'm not suggesting this is the combination for your area, but as an example, I plant buckwheat and sunn hemp with some grain sorghum for my summer stress period. I then rotate each fall to a mix of PTT/CC/WR. All is T&M or min-till with cultipacking.

I would suggest specific plants or combinations for your area but other will.

Thanks,

Jack

Soil test first and read up on how to do it correctly. I’d get out there and spray the the field now ( your section)cuz it sounds like there will be some heavy weeds and grasses. You might run into some resistant weeds in the field to Gly ,but I wouldn’t mix 2-4D this late before brassicas , but that’s just me. With 2-4D spraying, you need to wait at least 15 days I believe, maybe more before you can plant so just use Roundup. Make sure the wind isn’t blowing towards his hay when you spray. Are you going to do no till? What you got for equipment? You discing? You got a brush hog? Your located in Minn so you prob won’t get much for bulbs on brassicas, but u can still try. Read up on the LC Mix thread and put that in.

A couple weeks ago I got permission to hunt a good sized piece of land with a large field. The field has different sections in it, most of which are cut by a local farmer. There is one area about 3 acres that has not been cut in a few years and is tall grass/weeds. The owner will let me put in what I want. The area that I want to do something with is roughly round. My plan was to plant a 20 ft wide strip if clover around the outside. This will leave approximately 2 acres. I'm thinking about putting half of it ptt/radish mix but I'm not sure what to do with the rest. My reason for splitting was so I could flip flop sides each year. Am I overthinking this? Should it just be the same mix in the entire thing?

I'm open to suggestions on what to plant and how to rotate it.

Hard to comment until you describe how you plan to hunt ... bow, gun, tower blind, offset stand, access points, surrounding geography & deer acces/travel trails, etc.?

Take a look at the early threads on LC Mix and rotations. Hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been planting as you have described for many years. RR soybeans on half and a brassica mix on other half. Rotate them every year.. Both are a big attractant to deer and will give you plenty of food for deer thru the hunting season. The beans add nitrogen and the brassicas bring unused fertilizer and minerals back toward surface. Due to unforseen circumstances I did not get my brassicas in but did plant a small grain mix in place of brassicas, which should work just as well.

Do a search for LICKCREEK on these boards and follow his plan to a "T".