Planting Brassicas without a cultipacker

I thought this would be his shirt:

0af867cd5e0603e4f782ccba859865d1.jpg

Epic, lol!

We seed them with airplanes into standing corn without packing other than the rain. Just broadcast on top of the ground before a good rain if possible. Do it sooner than later as germination may take 3 weeks to a month.

I don't have a plane, but agree with the statement. I never cultipack brassicas and always have a great stand. Most types are planted at 6 pounds per acre. Groundhog radishes ( perhaps my favorite plot plant before it frosts) 12 pounds per acre.

I don't have a plane, but agree with the statement. I never cultipack brassicas and always have a great stand. Most types are planted at 6 pounds per acre. Groundhog radishes ( perhaps my favorite plot plant before it frosts) 12 pounds per acre.

Wow that seems awfully heavy seed rates.

I cultipacked some brassicas into dead oat stubble in July and had pretty good luck with it. It wasn't quite as impressive as a plot on disked ground, but it looks pretty good. At the same time I planted that strip, I threw some seeds into the adjacent soybean field and I couldn't cultipack there. I checked this plot today and the seed I threw on the soybeans really didn't do anything. My soil is fairly sandy, so I think that hurts the broadcasting method without using a packer. I'm guessing you have more options when you have a great loam, but it can be a little tougher on sandy plots. Definitely worth a try either way though.

Plot I planted at one of our MN farms in July. Broadcast and no packing. The seed sat there forever, but has really popped the last month. Starting to get some large growth in the past 2 weeks.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

and very little weeds it appears. That looks awesome.