Plan to Remove Stumps

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
The 30 acres I recently bought has a 4+/- acre field that is the best location for a large food plot on the property. Problem is it was a pine thicket about 6-8 years ago and is full of stumps. The previous owner cut them to the ground so he can brushhog over them. I was able to remove about 5 after I purchased the property with a mattock, chainsaw and my tractor, but that was a ton of work. My plan is to rent a John Deere 50g for a weekend and having my bro-in-law (heavy equipment operator) work from daylight to dark getting as many out as possible. I will be there with the tractor and blade moving the stumps once he pops them out. I believe most will come out in pieces because they are pretty soft, just not soft enought to break up with a disc. Just looking for input on the positives and negatives of this plan. Hiring a guy with a large excavator is over $100 an hour, so that is out. Thanks for the advice.

VV

Rent an excavator, or better yet, hire someone to come in and clear them out with an excavator, it will be the best, and fastest way.

I personally rented a mini excavator for a weekend, it costed me more to rent it and do the job myself, then it would have for me to hire a pro to do it, and the pro would have done a much better job. But, I got to play on an excavator for a weekend, and that was worth it!

That 50g should do the trick. With pines growing there, you are going to need tons of lime. Get a soil sample ASAP and plan on hauling in about 3 tons of lime per acre to get your soil to a workable 6.5 PH. It will take 6 months for the lime to do its work so take this into consideration before you plant. Good luck and send some PICS before, during and after.

Sounds like a good plan to me. If they are old and soft they should come out easily. Disturb as little soil as you can. What are you going to do with 4 acres of stumps? I personally would bury them once they are out. Otherwise you'll be looking at them for the next decade of your life. They'll burn eventually, but might take a few years to dry out. Have your BIL dig holes on that 4 acres as he goes and bury 4 or 5 at a time.

Last edited:
That 50g should do the trick. With pines growing there, you are going to need tons of lime. Get a soil sample ASAP and plan on hauling in about 3 tons of lime per acre to get your soil to a workable 6.5 PH. It will take 6 months for the lime to do its work so take this into consideration before you plant. Good luck and send some PICS before, during and after.

I planted about 1.5 acres of it last year around the stumps and the soil test said just about what you said. Brassicas did pretty well, but I am hoping to put forage soybeans in there this year if I can get enough of it cleared.

VV

Sounds like a good plan to me. If they are old and soft they should come out easily. Disturb as little soil as you can. What are you goin to do with 4 acres of stumps? I personally would bury them once they are out. Otherwise you'll be looking at them for the next decade of your life. They'll burn eventually, but might take a few years to dry out. Have your BIL dig holes on that 4 acres as he goes and bury 4 or 5 at a time.

I had planned to stack them along the field edge to try and "steer" deer in the directions I want. The wind is pretty consistent on this field, so the plan was to stack them along the downwind side. If I begin to run out of room for them, the burying idea is a good one, thanks.

VV

I also used my stumps as edges, and cover along the edge of the plot. I also used my ATV and drug some in areas along my sanctuary. They served 2 purposes, they did infact bed along them, and it was a decent screen for the edge of the sanctuary, and a trail to a stand that sits between bedding and a food plot. The advantage of the stumps, is that they dont decay fast, and will stay in a pile for longer then brush.

I had stumps removed from an area years ago and also had to bring in some topsoil to fill the holes. Depends on the size of the trees etc, but it would not hurt to have some topsoil on hand.

I did clear cuts of Scotch pine and black locust 25 years or so ago about a year or two apart. I was not willing to wait for all the tops and other clear cut trash to decompose. I hired a friend with a D3 and a large rear brush hook. He cleared several areas first of stumps and then pushed all the trash including the stumps into huge piles. I burned the piles in the middle of the winter while there was feet of snow on the ground. It took days to burn the piles. Now those cleared areas serve as my smaller food plots in the clear cut regenerations.
It was a cost effective way to deal with two problems at one time, remove the stumps and burn the trash. The burning seemed to enhance the areas as I did nothing else to them and they are decent food plots today.

I like pushing all the stumps to one side. It will eliminate one side from deer entering allowing you to pattern them better. You will also get briar growth in, around, and on top of them. A 28k lb excavator with a blade is the perfect machine.

The 30 acres I recently bought has a 4+/- acre field that is the best location for a large food plot on the property. Problem is it was a pine thicket about 6-8 years ago and is full of stumps. The previous owner cut them to the ground so he can brushhog over them. I was able to remove about 5 after I purchased the property with a mattock, chainsaw and my tractor, but that was a ton of work. My plan is to rent a John Deere 50g for a weekend and having my bro-in-law (heavy equipment operator) work from daylight to dark getting as many out as possible. I will be there with the tractor and blade moving the stumps once he pops them out. I believe most will come out in pieces because they are pretty soft, just not soft enought to break up with a disc. Just looking for input on the positives and negatives of this plan. Hiring a guy with a large excavator is over $100 an hour, so that is out. Thanks for the advice.

VV

There are two alternatives that can work. One is the path you are on now. The key is preserving top soil. When he extracts the stumps, be sure to shake them off well and get as much dirt back as you can. If it is all pine, it should not be a problem. They decompose fast compared to hardwoods. I think I personally might opt for the second alternative. I did pretty much what you are doing with some small 1/4 acre sections of planted pine. The pines were only 6' tall or so and were not a problem. The problem was that hardwoods had be clearcut prior to the pines being planted. There were huge hardwood stumps 10 years old or older that were just beginning to decompose. I cut the roots on all sides with backhoe before I could tip them over. It took me a weekend to clear 1/4 acre and they left gaping holes a couple feet deep.

Over the years, I have evolved from traditional deep tillage to minimizing tillage. My 2 bottom plow now just sits and rusts. I do a combination of min-till setting my tiller so high that only hits the top inch or less, no-till with a small drill, and throw and mow. So, if I were in your situation today, I would opt for method 2, let nature take its course.

I would not worry about the stumps. I would soil test and lime accordingly. I would plant crops like buckwheat and winter rye that tolerate poor pH and infertility for a few years. You would be amazed at how quickly pine stumps decompose when cut close to the ground. As long as you can bushhog it, I would use throw and mow techniques. My conversion to minimizing tillage with a goal of total no-till came from watching some of "Ray the soil guy" videos. The demonstrates the damage we do to soil health when we till and the principles behind no-till. They are focused at farmers with large equipment, but the principles hold. Crimson and Camo has taken many of those principles and applied them to food plots with small equipment in his threads on here. So, in the long run, I would let nature take care of those stumps.

I did a lot of damage to my soil with tillage when I did not know better. Many are still recovering. As I've moved toward no-till, I'm finding my input requirements like fertilizer drop. I'm building OM from the top down which preserves and feeds the microbiology in the soil an improves nutrient cycling. Smart choices of crop combinations that feed and attract deer while scavenging nutrients and forming OM using a good balance of legumes that fix N and grasses that provide C is the key. We end up with lower cost, lower input, more sustainable food plots that support deer.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I have pushed out lots of food plots over the years. I like to use stumps to steer deer and make screens. I would never bury stumps, I would push them in a pile and burn them first. At least you get some of your top soil back that way. I use a loader backhoe and a dozer to make our plots. I push the root and brush trash in the stump holes that helps keep your top soil. I have seen to many guys push most of the top soil off a plot trying to get the roots and brush off to the side.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It is a project I am looking forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk