Places that stay soggy?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
Question: Do you have any places that just seem to always stay soggy...not from abnormal rainfall but maybe from springs or seeps? I've studied soil type/classification and have a couple of areas that are described as "poorly drained" but would have thought they'd eventually dry out during the hottest/driest part of the year especially when opened up to full sun and wind.

It's been in the low-mid 90's for months and haven't had measurable rain for a couple of weeks. Mowing the other day, while much of it has dried out a bit, the tractor tires still roll over wet in the lowest section.

Last edited:
Sure, they are called seeps by some. They can be important to wildlife like vernal pools. I would not operate equipment in these areas. I would kind of figure out where that border is during wet periods and mark it off and avoid it. Let it revert back to a natural state. It may take years to recover, but it can be an important part of habitat.

Thanks,

Jack

Ever tried disking that spot? I've had places like that and disking really helps to dry it out. In the worst areas I'd have to back in with the disk(too scared to attempt just driving thru). A little bit today, alittle more tomorrow and voila---you got it. You can plant things that will be productive in those areas---but not a ton of options. Jack has the politically correct answer that won't get you into trouble. Where I'm at in Minnesota they will nail you for disturbing the wetlands if you try to work wet swampy areas---so I've heard.

Ever tried disking that spot? I've had places like that and disking really helps to dry it out. In the worst areas I'd have to back in with the disk(too scared to attempt just driving thru). A little bit today, alittle more tomorrow and voila---you got it. You can plant things that will be productive in those areas---but not a ton of options. Jack has the politically correct answer that won't get you into trouble. Where I'm at in Minnesota they will nail you for disturbing the wetlands if you try to work wet swampy areas---so I've heard.

My answer was not at all intended to be politically correct. It is completely in line with my evolving management philosophy. I'm learning that much of what I did to soils and such in my early days did much more harm than good. I'm learning over many years that slightly bending nature to favor the needs of wildlife is low cost and high return. Trying to bend nature to my will ends up being very costly with low or a negative return. I'm learning to look at the big picture. Wildlife benefits from a wide variety of diversity. The first question I ask these days when I get a "good" idea is: What are the potential negative unintended consequences if I do this.

I have several seeps on our farm. I wouldn't even consider trying to plant there. They are locations where I find turkey feeding constantly. I'd be wasting energy, seed, time, and money trying to convert these into a food plot. I'd be removing a valuable wildlife resource and replacing it with an expensive poor performing food plot.

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: Tap
This particular spot is managed by mowing once a year so not looking to turn it into a food source. Just looking to keep it higher value (to wildlife) early successional vs. woody. Managed this way provides fantastic habitat for all manner of wildlife and interesting the mention of turkeys...they use it CONSTANTLY.

Mind you it's not the whole entire opening, just the lowest portions. I was just surprised to find that even in the hottest driest times of year it remains soggy.

I have several spots like that.
I've planted speckled alder in a few of them. Not really for food. Mostly cover and also to divide plots into smaller units. IMO, I would rather have four 1 acre plots than have one 4 acre plot. Divided plots allow deer to be more comfortable in smaller family units rather than competing for dominance.
Multiple, small plots keep bucks more active searching for does on my property rather than quickly checking one large field and then move on to the neighbors place and get shot.
The alder trees are doing great.