Pigeons 2023

Pigeon are delicious! I love it when I bag one during dove season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are! We do the same during dove season, they eat like a big dove.

I prefer them to mourning dove. As long as they are from a rural area they are just as good as any wild game.

I agree, I’ve never found anything off putting about them for the table. People have been eating them as long as humans have been on the earth.
And they are very sporting to hunt, they decoy and fly like ducks.

I can’t believe that homeless people in big cities don’t go after them more? Are they somehow less clean or different taste than my country pigeons?

One of them from today was a fancy one. Bokhara Trumpter in the family tree maybe?
IMG_5644.jpeg

Don’t they call them squab in Europe?

You gotta get a banded one. A buddy of mine saw a dead pigeon on the highway and noticed something shine near it. He went back and it was banded. . What are the odds?!

You gotta get a banded one. A buddy of mine saw a dead pigeon on the highway and noticed something shine near it. He went back and it was banded. . What are the odds?!

That’s funny you bring that up. Over my lifetime I have gotten some banded pigeons. These are the ones I still have, a half dozen or so were colored rubber with letters and numbers on them. Those degraded over time. Maybe one in two or three hundred or more have had a band.
Figured they were homers or racers that went feral.
IMG_5659.jpeg

Pigeon for supper last night.
IMG_5662.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 2
That’s funny you bring that up. Over my lifetime I have gotten some banded pigeons. These are the ones I still have, a half dozen or so were colored rubber with letters and numbers on them. Those degraded over time. Maybe one in two or three hundred or more have had a band.
Figured they were homers or racers that went feral.
View attachment 54846

Pigeon for supper last night.
View attachment 54847

You should be able to report them and find out.

Those banded birds are usually racing pigeons. One was hanging here at the house a few years ago, so I caught it. After some googling, I found that there is a network of folks that will come and get them and they get returned to the owner. Sure enough, I called the closest contact on the list and the guy drove about an hour to come pick it up. Super nice guy and he knew who it belonged to based on the band number.