All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Persimmon Grafts Finally Budding out!

ts_13

5 year old buck +
I cleft grafted 10 persimmon seedling back in the middle of April. A month later....... Green! They are finally budding out. This was my first attempt to graft besides a bark graft and it seems like a few at least will make it. But come on! A month to push out!!!!!

I will do mine in central PA next weekend. Trees were just starting to leaf out last weekend but I decided to hold off until after the few cold nights. To busy to get down there this weekend so it was another week.

Glad to hear they took. You can cleft graft much earlier than you can bark graft because you don't need the bark to slip. But you still need to wait for warm enough temps for callusing and for them to push out the buds. That is one reason I like bark grafting for persimmons. I just started my bark grafting this past week in my area.

Thanks,

Jack

I waited until the root stock pushed out and was growing. These were seedlings from MDC. I also tried some side grafts ( cut a slit and insert scion into the side of the root stock then tape it tight) We'll see how that does. The jury is still out (buds are still in!). I checked and I think I have a few more trying to break bud. Question: how long after they break bud (scion) should I wait to cut all the other foliage off? Sucker sprouts have come out, I have left one growing to ensure the seedling has energy and doesnt die. What do you think?

Thanks,

T

I waited until the root stock pushed out and was growing. These were seedlings from MDC. I also tried some side grafts ( cut a slit and insert scion into the side of the root stock then tape it tight) We'll see how that does. The jury is still out (buds are still in!). I checked and I think I have a few more trying to break bud. Question: how long after they break bud (scion) should I wait to cut all the other foliage off? Sucker sprouts have come out, I have left one growing to ensure the seedling has energy and doesnt die. What do you think?

Thanks,

T

I'm still trying to figure that out. With a fully established tree, I remove any foliage at the time of grafting. For seedlings I'm still trying to understand it. I started apples from seeds and planted them the following fall from 3 gal RB2s. They were 5' to 6' tall and over 1/2" in caliper. The following spring I decided to graft them but was concerned that after pushing out all the leaves the newly planted trees may not have enough energy stored to push the grafts. I kept quite a few nurse branches and found I had very poor success. This year I re-grafted many of the same trees. They had more energy stored and I was more confident so I only kept 1 or 2 nurse branches. I got much better but not perfect results this spring.

My next experiment in this area will happen next week. I started more apples from seeds this winter. They are now in 1 gal RB2s and about 4' to 5' tall but only about 1/4" in caliper. I plan to cut some of them off and chip bud them with known varieties. I'm still trying to decide how many leaves I should retain until I see buds break or if I should retain any at all. I hate to lose these great root system if the grafts don't take.

I don't have an answer for you but I'm still struggling with similar questions.

Thanks,

Jack

I did my grafting yesterday in PA. About 20 trees grafted to Dollywood, Miller, Wonderful, and 100-46. Most were bark grafted onto suckers that were .75" to 2" diameter. I cleft grafted onto seedlings from MDC that I planted a couple years ago. I even did a couple MDC seedlings that I planted this spring that had started pushing leaves. I got my scionwood from England's.

Next year, I'll harvest scionwood from these and Prok, Yates, and Meader to do more of the MDC seedlings. I'll look at what else England's has and maybe get another few persimmon varieties and paw paw. I got a couple sticks of Overleese paw paw and grafted several MDC paw paw seedlings planted a couple years ago. I have lots of paw paw seedlings to graft.

It seems to be taking a minimum of a month for my trees to break buds on my grafts. Is this normal for persimmons? Do they just take later than fruit trees?

I have several break buds now, some 4-6 weeks!

When bark grafting persimmons it seems to be related to when you graft relative to sap. I have had some scions show signs of taking in just a couple weeks and other take longer.

Thanks,

Jack

I am sure with these being MDC seedlings thats probably why it took longer. I cleft and "side grafted" these. I am happy they are coming out! its just interesting that they took so long.

T

When bark grafting persimmons it seems to be related to when you graft relative to sap. I have had some scions show signs of taking in just a couple weeks and other take longer.

Thanks,

Jack

Hey Jack did I tell you that I saw a guy side grafting chestnuts? He was having decent success too!

I'm not sure what to expect from cleft grafting. I've tried a few chestnut grafting techniques this spring but have not tried side grafting yet.

I'm not sure what to expect from cleft grafting. I've tried a few chestnut grafting techniques this spring but have not tried side grafting yet.

He had 20-30 and most of them showed emerging buds. Now that being said, I am not sure how many will prosper.

Here are a few of mine from this year and last. Not photographed, there was a tree that was mowed off last spring and I grafted onto that stub. It grew fantastic last year, close to 5 ft tall but never leafed out this spring.

Graft of Miller variety onto an MDC seedling. Not a lot of light in this area so the growth will be slow. It is in a short tree tube for protection.
Miller Persimmon on an MDC seedling.jpg

Bark grafts that looked good 3 weeks ago when I took this photo. Buds popping on all sticks then both have since failed. I should have put an aluminum foil shade screen up but ran out of time on the last visit.
persimmon bark grafts that since failed.jpg

3 of last year's grafts and one regrafted this year. Just off to the left was another graft from last year. It snapped about a foot above the graft in a recent windstorm. I cut it off at the break and will let it push new sprouts.
persimmon bark grafts.jpg

Outstanding! Great looking grafts!

All of my side grafts pushed out, only about %50 of my cleft grafts took. Good to know for next year!