Paw Paw Patch

I have a small area that produces naturally every year (about a 1/4 acre or so). In most cases the coons get to them before anything even has a chance. They are the only NATIVE citrus fruit in my state. When totally ripe I think they have a custard type taste.....when they are not ripe....well they taste terrible! Some folks try to grow them intentionally, I get them naturally in my floodplain bottom along my creek. I haven't been out to look at mine as with all the rain creek has been too high. I have no idea if the deer will eat the fruit or not.

I have a small area that produces naturally every year (about a 1/4 acre or so). In most cases the coons get to them before anything even has a chance. They are the only NATIVE citrus fruit in my state. When totally ripe I think they have a custard type taste.....when they are not ripe....well they taste terrible! Some folks try to grow them intentionally, I get them naturally in my floodplain bottom along my creek. I haven't been out to look at mine as with all the rain creek has been too high. I have no idea if the deer will eat the fruit or not.
Coons ate all but 1 last year. Left one on the ground & that’s how I found them.

I was pretty sure I knew what it was but I still remember just barely putting my tongue on it to taste. Then I was “hell yeah that’s good”

I found a small patch of Paw Paws last year. Have about 15 fruits developing.

Pretty interesting fruit tasting like a combination of vanilla, banana & mango.

View attachment 19161View attachment 19162

Outstanding! They are a tough tree to get going. It is great when one has them growing natively!

They are pretty neat, we get them in wetter low spots in the woods with good overhead canopy. I think everything eats them when they fall, have seen deer/possums/coon/turkeys/coyotes eat them. Wish I had more growing, I am going to try and seed some in different spots and see if they come up.

They are pretty neat, we get them in wetter low spots in the woods with good overhead canopy. I think everything eats them when they fall, have seen deer/possums/coon/turkeys/coyotes eat them. Wish I had more growing, I am going to try and seed some in different spots and see if they come up.
Same area as mine. Low creek area that filters into swamp.

these are on my get growing at my place list. too dang neat not to grow

these are on my get growing at my place list. too dang neat not to grow
I grew mine from see that I got mostly from Cliff England.

I ordered 30 seedlings this year from the local soil and water, planted 15 in a somewhat shady area and put the other 15 in gallon pots. The 15 in gallon pots didn’t leaf out. The 15 planted in shady spots are doing great, minus a few that deer found. Also put white oaks and shagbark hickories in pots and they are doing fantastic, fwiw. Also for what it’s worth, I am a novice tree planter at best.

Of my initial paw paw planting’s I think I have 3 trees left. The ones in the shady wet spot all died. The ones more upland with hedge overstory Have one left. Along the creek with pecan/hedge overstory has 2 left.

I ordered 30 seedlings this year from the local soil and water, planted 15 in a somewhat shady area and put the other 15 in gallon pots. The 15 in gallon pots didn’t leaf out. The 15 planted in shady spots are doing great, minus a few that deer found. Also put white oaks and shagbark hickories in pots and they are doing fantastic, fwiw. Also for what it’s worth, I am a novice tree planter at best.
Surprising that deer got them. Paw paws have an awful smelling leaf that deer traditionally leave alone.

Glad to hear you’ve got some growing.

I’m newer to the tree and shrub planting’s myself. I’ve already had my share of forehead slaps.

My best
4D51DD63-B133-4828-AAFC-5AF7EE71582F.jpeg