All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our pond build

What are wipers?

Good to know. I'm jealous of you guys that don't have to worry about ponds freezing out. If it's not 15-20 feet deep or more It runs a high risk of freezing out.

Wipers would be a blast!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Drought taking its toll. The edge of the buckwheat was at the water 3 weeks ago.
6CB6919E-5A9E-46A1-8238-1B2B928BC57E.jpeg

The fatheads minnows must be constantly spawning. They are everywhere. Fish are growing nicely. Holding off on any more stocking until the pond level raises more. Did go catch a few tonight.
96BDA7D3-D367-4C1A-9C6D-D9F85A3AA142.jpeg

Did you get any rain in the past week? We are dry!

3.5”. Enough to keep us in severe drought and not extreme. I am going to add more hybrid bluegill but not unless we get rain. Pond came back up to June 1 levels but this 100 degrees and windy will evaporate it out quick. I’d kill for an August thunderstorm that pops up and sits on us for a couple hours. Seems like that happens ever couple years.

We don't get much in August, it usually heads east of us. I like the hybrid bluegills! Be carefull swimming with them... they bite hard and they like to target nipples. Don't ask...

This ain’t a swimming pond, although I did swim out and remove a piece of cover that was being problematic for the kids fishing. Come on rain.

1C677484-C855-4FE2-87F4-A41CC90C420E.jpeg

Lack of rain taking its toll. I have been going out and seeding millet around the edges in the mud as the pond recedes.

I sure hope you get a rain soon. We got lucky and hit two rains recently for a total of 1.8 inches in the last couple of months. It was nice but no run-off at all... it just soaked into the ground.

Ive noticedthe native grasses are stressed and already have seedheads up, especially the big blue.

100 3-4" hybrid bluegill went in today. Also 50 8-11" channel cat. This is to supplement the 150 4-6" hybrid bluegill that went in Mar 22nd. We lost some in the overflow event as I found them dead in puddles downstream.20180911_155317.jpg

Sweet!