Organic Matter %

ravot22

Yearling... With promise
Can you help me with my soil reports?

I have three separate soil tests completed. (two food plots and one apple/pear orchard)

The two soil tests on the food plots came back 3.1% organic matter 7.4 pH.
The orchard came back with a 7% organic matter and a 5.8 pH.

What does this mean? (In laymen terms)

Thanks for the assistance!!

I would be happy with the 3-7% OM (some members here would kill for that OM!) however keep tillage to a minimum to keep it there or higher.

Food plots are fine (I shoot for 6-7 for most plants), you can lay off the lime for a year or two and retest.

The orchard could use more lime this year to hit that 6-7 pH that apples like so calculate your lime needed this year and retest next year.

Next I would like to know the micro amounts (N, P, K, etc.) and would run a full comprehensive soil test.

Good luck with your soil health initiative!

The first food plot is 129 p - 237 k - 2963 Ca

The second plot is 53 p - 133 k -2027 Ca

The orchard is 34 p - 123k - 2027 Ca.

My Opinion:

P is very high (if your measurement is in Parts Per Million, over 18 PPM is Very High)

K is high to very high (101-150 is high, 150+ is very high)

N is medium based off your Organic Matter of 3.1-4.5% - Depending on the crop you grow you may need fertilizer/urea

Ca is good, however in the orchard if you have high Ca types like Honeycrisp I may add some Dolomitic Pelletized Lime and/or Gypsum to up the pH and Ca at the same time. Be careful though Dolomitic Lime has lots of Mg (a 2-1 ratio) which may lead to too much Mg... Gypsum is a very safe option but does not correct pH. On a side note Gypsum is great at reducing soil compaction as well!

Last edited:
Is there anything I can do in order to reduce P?

Will legumes help reduce it? Or should I even worry about it?

For a fall plot I usually plant winter wheat,turnips and beets in those areas.

For spring time I plant buckwheat.

My Opinion:

P is very high (if your measurement is in Parts Per Million, over 18 PPM is Very High)

K is high to very high (101-150 is high, 150+ is very high)

N is medium based off your Organic Matter of 3.1-4.5% - Depending on the crop you grow you may need fertilizer/urea

Ca is good, however in the orchard if you have high Ca types like Honeycrisp I may add some Dolomitic Pelletized Lime and/or Gypsum to up the pH and Ca at the same time. Be careful though Dolomitic Lime has lots of Mg (a 2-1 ratio) which may lead to too much Mg... Gypsum is a very safe option but does not correct pH. On a side not Gypsum is great at reducing soil compaction as well!

1. Avoid adding manure as fertilizer.
  2. Plant nitrogen-fixing vegetables to increase nitrogen without increasing phosphorous (yes, legumes).
  3. Add phosphorous-free fertilizer (X-0-X) when needed.
  4. Spray foliar application of zinc and iron on plants (little benefit, IMO).
  5. Wait... Time will correct it if no more is added.