All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on Winter wheat vs winter rye

Nitro and Cat, posts #38 & 39 - I saw the fertilizer attraction on an oak tree that was right at the edge of one of our plots. We fertilized the crap out of the plot, and when acorns started to drop in the early fall, that oak tree became a magnet compared to all the other oaks in the immediate area. The only difference was that oak tree had a batch of fert. spread all around it and the deer must have sensed the difference / taste ??

Nitro and Cat, posts #38 & 39 - I saw the fertilizer attraction on an oak tree that was right at the edge of one of our plots. We fertilized the crap out of the plot, and when acorns started to drop in the early fall, that oak tree became a magnet compared to all the other oaks in the immediate area. The only difference was that oak tree had a batch of fert. spread all around it and the deer must have sensed the difference / taste ??
That is something I've always wondered about (if fertilizing oak trees would help preference). I always thought it should but research on the internet says no. Thanks for your input on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is something I've always wondered about (if fertilizing oak trees would help preference). I always thought it should but research on the internet says no. Thanks for your input on it.

I believe there have been some studies done that show that fertilizing oak trees does not have a significant positive impact on production. Anecdotally, I've seen deer preferring acorns from particular individual oaks over other nearby oaks of the same type. I can see where fertilizer could possibly have some preference impact, but I would expect it to be minor. Consider the three dimensional size of the root system of a mature oak. I wonder how much fertilizer would be required to have measureable impact.

Also keep in mind that fruit and nut production can be inversely correlated with fertilization in some cases. Fertilizer can promote vegetative growth over nut/fruit production.

My gut feeling, for what it is worth, is that fertilizer will have more impact per dollar when used where the vegetative growth provides the deer food over fruit and nuts. No hard data to support this, but just my best guess.

Thanks,

Jack

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG This is a picture from today. It's winter rye planted Labor Day last year. Up until about a week and a half ago it was being used quite a bit. Then it looks like we past the point of deer using it. My soil was very poor with ph in the 4s. Last year's clover is coming in but it's interesting that the deer have stopped using the rye and it coincides with a drop in deer pictures on my cameras and an increase in turkeys the last ten days. Hopefully the clover will take over soon but I know there's plenty of new growth in the woods for the deer to have moved off my trails too. The rye was seeded at a 50 lbs per acre rate. (The turkey is a decoy)

Makes perfect sense. That rye is to old to be attractive to deer, but it makes great bugging for turkey. If it were me, I'd mow that rye now.

Makes perfect sense. That rye is to old to be attractive to deer, but it makes great bugging for turkey. If it were me, I'd mow that rye now.

What would be the benefit of mowing vs letting it grow? With reference to both the clovers growth and the deers use?

What would be the benefit of mowing vs letting it grow? With reference to both the clovers growth and the deers use?
I'll terminate it this time of yr if I have a summer planting planned (sunflowers, millet, milo, beans, etc...).

The benefit of letting the WR head out is that deer and turkey may use the seed heads a little. They won't use the WR forage any more. Mowing the WR to 6"-8" each time it gets over a foot will release the clover without killing the WR. This will let light into the clover and help it establish. The WR will continue to grow taking up space that weeds would otherwise use and continue to have a chemical effect on weeds until it dies naturally. Meanwhile, the additional light will help the clover establish a root system. That way it will be ready to fill in as the WR dies naturally this summer.

You don't want to mow it too low. When the clover eventually starts blooming you will be clipping the top of the clover. This also helps get more clover seed in the ground. It is best to have rain in the forecast when you mow. Mowing also stresses clover a bit and having rain in the forecast helps it recover faster.

Best of luck,

Jack

Thanks Jack! That's exactly the information action I needed.