Operation Cuttings

BlueSpruceOutfitters

A good 3 year old buck
So, after heavy pruning, I had a lot left over. So I've decided to try to root all the cuttings and see what happens. Just a few. Haha. I tired a few pear in a bottle of water and a few apple in a big pot with potting soil. All have aloe on tips for rooting help. Any tips and tricks, I'd be much obliged!
d0c77da43727a82f3feb7cd09df2a10b.jpg

Success with rooting hard wood cuttings like that is pretty bleak, no matter the approach. Always fun to experiment, but dont be too dissapointed in your results.

I utterly failed last year trying to toot hardwood cuttings.
They leafed out, some flowered, and none ever produced roots. I used powered rooting hormone, put them in a 72 cell tray with bottom heat, and placed a hood over them, all in a greenhouse. Still no takers. :-(

a8c85d2e83b5903f0275492b4af5d16b.jpg

I’m pretty bummed because it is the only feral pear I have ever found on public land. It is THE place to be late October and November. I can’t get root cuttings from this tree. It is growing in almost solid rock. I guess it found a crack, but I can’t find roots...
I may try grafting cuttings next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the same results as Ikeman Tx. Two possible keys might be to rough up the bark around a bud and keep the top wet/damp as well as the soil. Most of us use spring wood maybe fall might work! Maybe a baggie with seed starting type medium in it wrapped around a young SPROUT attached to the living tree and put water into the baggie regularly might work. It could simulate covering up an attached branch with soil which creates roots in most plants. And grafting is not a bad thing is it? Keep trying Ikeman and I will also. For my pears here I plan on using the wild pear seeds to make root stock and then grafting it's own scions onto said root stock as well as growing some root stock out. Our wild pears are October dropping only but as you experience they are the place to be during their drop period.