ONX Hunt?

J Kuch

Yearling... With promise
I’m trying to figure out how I can walk a property and mark my borders. I’m not really computer savvy but I bought the app but can’t really figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

How many acres?

I was under the impression that boundaries were all marked with that app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy for your state, it should tell you property area for your property. If not, you still might be able to do the measure area tool. I've never used it outside the state that I purchased.

If you really want to save some money you can use the web soil survey tool for free from USDA by measuring area of interest.

I have the OnX app and love it! When you are in the app you can purchase your states parcel data. It will then upload each counties GIS data. This data will get you close to a parcel boundary but it would not be a hill I would die on (at least the northwest pa data anyways.) One of the things I really like is it will list contact information for each parcel. Makes it nice for seeking land access. I’m not sure the details of your parcel but if you have any transitions or previous boundary markers the app is a nice supplement to assist you. Hope this helps.

Boundaries will show once you pay. It’s the best annual money I spend. Funny thing is that my wife uses it around town and in our neighborhood to figure out who owns what. Very handy app for me in the country and my wife in the city. I use it for calculating acreage for plots and all kinds of things.

Yea, I love it. I use it for work and everything else.

cost?

The only problem with it, and I have it as well, is the property lines are not very accurate. Both my house and my property (in two different states) are considerably off. Especially my property. According to it, I own a good bit of my neighbors land which is awesome!

I feel like they really hone down property lines out west because that is their bread and butter while the East gets little effort.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out how I can walk a property and mark my borders. I’m not really computer savvy but I bought the app but can’t really figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

It's close enough for government work, but it and the device you are using it on aren't accurate enough to mark property boundaries. It could get you in the general vicinity and if you have an idea of what you are looking for you might could get a visually bearing.

Last edited:
The only problem with it, and I have it as well, is the property lines are not very accurate. Both my house and my property (in two different states) are considerably off. Especially my property. According to it, I own a good bit of my neighbors land which is awesome!

I feel like they really hone down property lines out west because that is their bread and butter while the East gets little effort.
In Missouri it seems to be accurate within a few feet or so at my properties.

Does anyone get tax maps available from their county showing property lines? My county does a decent job, but surrounding counties don't seem quite up to par from what I've been able to find.

Well, I'm probably jealous because I didn't think of it first! And I'm flying in the face of overwhelming enthusiasm here. ONX simply repackages information already in the public domain. You can go to some counties (most counties, maybe) and get paper or digital tax maps. County government has a vested interest in knowing who owns what and how much for revenue generating purposes. Here in Virginia there are still three or four counties that have not digitized their tax maps. Realize these are tax maps and not necessarily legal boundaries. In the old days of draftsmen and paper property cards, the tax map was a gross representation of of the property recorded one property at a time. In my experience, there wasn't a whole lot of effort to edge match properties. One county I know and love here in VA found, when they started to move into the digital world they had about 16,000 parcels and only 12,000 ownership records. As it was represented then, you might own 50 acres and when it came time to put all the pieces together there were many instances where you might own 50 acres and I owned 20 acres inside your 50. This county is still trying to get it all figured out. Yet, the tax maps are on-line and out there for public consumption. The county hopes you will see it and yell to get it corrected. That's a little oversimplified.

On the other hand I live in a county with over 200,000 parcels and the representations are darn near perfect. Today, the tax maps are created using survey plats when they are available. Not all land here has ever been surveyed. So, the quality is all over the board. Different states and counties, different circumstances. I have lots of stories....

Now, put the county tax map or ONX on your device - a cell phone or a GPS I assume - and even if the tax maps match the legal boundary, your devices ability to accurately pinpoint where you are is subject to some variance. Your position could be anywhere from 1 foot to 50 feet off. One foot is hard to come by and usually involves a differential correction not readily available without a subscription.

So, yes it probably works to tell you are close to a property boundary, but not precisely. Surveyors still hold that distinction.

I would add that if you are in the midwest your chances of having accurate property boundaries in any application are better than if you live on the east coast, one of the 13 original colonies (plus Kentucky?). Sections and townships are surveyed and the road system generally follows those boundaries. Here in the east there's no such system.

Last edited:
Yeah I certainly wouldn't be driving in fence posts or even hanging stands based off those lines. For people who like to "stay off the lines" a little ways, which hopefully is most of us, they can be handy.

I'm not sure you've gotten much help and I'm not sleepy - yet. I have to make a couple of assumptions. You bought the app, but does that mean you've subscribed and have property boundaries displaying on your device? And what device are you using? A GPS, cell phone or something else? Lets assume you have all of that handled.

And lets assume your property boundary displayed in the app is correct. And, I'm going to assume you at least have a good starting point. If not, it gets a lot more complicated.

I hope ONX has an option to set the orientation of the map as it's displayed on your device. Typically the top of a map is north...but it doesn't have to be that way. It might be the ONX default is north up or at the top of the screen. That won't work too swell for this job. You need to change the map orientation to 'track up." That means, as you walk, you'll be walking toward the top of the map as it's displayed.

On the map, I hope there's a dot -- a cursor -- or some indicator showing where you are - your location. You want to get that dot on your property line as its displayed on your device. Zoom in as close as you can. That helps you know if you are on the line (in a perfect world). Take a couple steps and wait. There's always a brief lag as your device recalculates your position. It's always a little behind where you actually are. If you find yourself still on the line, take a couple more steps and wait. If you're still on the line you are probably on the right bearing. Now its just a matter of staying on the line. If you are off the line you'll have to move around a little to get back on it. When you are confident you are on the right course forget the maps and the dot for a moment and visually aim at some landmark in the near distance and walk to it. Look at the map. Is your location still on the line?

When you get to a point where your property line turns, you'll need to start the process all over again. If you find yourself at a property corner, mark it well. Has it been surveyed? Should be an iron pin in the ground. If you are sure you are at a corner mark it doubly good. Buy some surveyor's ribbon. Tie it on something. If its wrong, you can always tear it off and re-mark it.

Don't expect to get this right the first time you do it. It takes some perseverance and practice. If you know how to read a compass - in addition to using your device, that can help you get your heading (bearing) correct. But, that's a lesson for another time.

The other better option is to hire a surveyor to mark the boundary. Be sure to specify you the boundary marked. Otherwise you might only get corners marked. You might be surprised at the cost of a survey for the sole purpose of marking a boundary as opposed to doing a legally recorded survey.

Last edited:
Disclaimer! I didn’t read a single post after the first.

THEY SUCK!

I own 114 acres in NJ that they list as owned by a public utility and not used. I’m an inch from a law suit against them.

absolutely the worst app ever and when you get charged for trespassing they won’t back you!

And if you get caught on my land because they said so. I don’t care! You’re charged!

If I didn’t mention it, they suck!

And if you get caught on my land because they said so. I don’t care! You’re charged!

If I didn’t mention it, they suck!

I'm offend! If you would have, first, at least read my couple of posts you would have been more well informed! Then, you would maybe understand why "....they suck" and, perhaps, have expressed your indignity with more enthusiasm! :emoji_grin: