old cast iron pans

Bill -

Omicron's pics at post #102 ........... what the H is that black build-up all over his pans?? I've used CI ware over the years, but always wondered what that black stuff is on the outside of the pans. Mom's / grandmom's pans looked like Omicrons. Sure didn't look like rust - it looked like creosote you get in a chimney.

100 years of grease and grime with some soot and and other stuff thrown in is my guess.

Last edited:
Look at this grime. Just put it in the Electrolysis tank. I don't think I can cook this off. Looks like the rear axel pumpkin on my first truck.😆

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

Cast iron… water tank heater!

This was my grandfathers. My 75yo father still uses it for his horses.

f6c7cf8aec3cbb5c1195ba3b82410b58.jpg

76210da5dfdd0bda030a5019739054f0.jpg

cb7eda5aa2c831f2d45cb5872ae5db48.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at this grime. Just put it in the Electrolysis tank. I don't think I can cook this off. Looks like the rear axel pumpkin on my first truck.😆

View attachment 61497

View attachment 61498
That top pic is the stuff I've seen on Mom's old CI pans. Reminds me of old-style vehicle undercoating. Doesn't affect the inside for cooking though.

Cast iron… water tank heater!

This was my grandfathers. My 75yo father still uses it for his horses.

f6c7cf8aec3cbb5c1195ba3b82410b58.jpg

76210da5dfdd0bda030a5019739054f0.jpg

cb7eda5aa2c831f2d45cb5872ae5db48.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That thing is cool!

Reactions: cbw
That's a nice one. Let me know if you want to sell it! I've been looking for that size.

That looks like a nice one to use just something diffrent in the grain of the older cast iron pans or maybe it’s the almost polished cooking surface that makes the difference I don’t know.

That looks like a nice one to use just something diffrent in the grain of the older cast iron pans or maybe it’s the almost polished cooking surface that makes the difference I don’t know.
That exactly why they're non stick. They machined the cooking surface back then.

That looks like a nice one to use just something diffrent in the grain of the older cast iron pans or maybe it’s the almost polished cooking surface that makes the difference I
I've got a couple dozen Griswold's. The few "Erie's" I have are by far the smoothest cooking surfaces.
Definitely my favorite.

Dumb question maybe, can you take a lodge cast iron and sand/grind it smooth and expect somewhat equal performance.to the older stuff?

Dumb question maybe, can you take a lodge cast iron and sand/grind it smooth and expect somewhat equal performance.to the older stuff?

I've been thinking about it and don't see why not.
But there is something cool about burning meat in a 130 year old skillet.

I've been thinking about it and don't see why not.
But there is something cool about burning meat in a 130 year old skillet.
Lodge claims their pebbled surface is better. Do you believe that or do you think it’s just easier for them to make?

Lodge claims their pebbled surface is better. Do you believe that or do you think it’s just easier for them to make?
We bought a Cabelas brand made by lodge at the farm with that pebble thing. I liked it until I found the old stuff. No comparison. The vintage smooth surface can’t be beat.

I’m building an arsenal of 100 year old pans.

I am finding the pebbled surface just makes it almost impossible to season the pan. Done it 3 or 4 times with this pan and it always sticks.

I am finding the pebbled surface just makes it almost impossible to season the pan. Done it 3 or 4 times with this pan and it always sticks.
I’ve always liked my lodge pans. But you’re right, not truly stick free.

Then I did a couple the way this thread described and they are like mirrors and don’t stick. So I agree with you.

I took some emery disks and used a drill to smooth up the surface of a large lodge fry pan. Made it smooth as a baby's butt. Then seasoned the pan. Np-stick after this process.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked my lodge pans. But you’re right, not truly stick free.

Then I did a couple the way this thread described and they are like mirrors and don’t stick. So I agree with you.
I did it the last time this way. A little better but still too sticky for my liking..
I'm going to try sanding it more aggressively and see how that works.
I have a really big pan I did at the same time, very little stick but it's to big for everyday use.