Ohio Farm Tours

Deer browse or soil issue?

Everyone wants to see big bucks, and we are no different!!

However, a key to a healthy deer herd is maximizing the available, high quality food, per mouth. With the Vitalize one-two system, we have focused on reducing inputs so we can maximize plantable food on the landscape. The money and time we are not spending on hundreds, if not thousands of pounds, of conventional fertilizer are being put towards more acres of highly nutrient dense food for our whitetail herds -utilizing our one-two system.

Each year we focus on increase acres planted. Maximizing the quality of those acres through biology and plant diversity, and feeding as many mouths as possible, as well as the soil from planting till the next Spring!!

Our continued goal is to maximize both the soil, deer health and overall wildlife attractiveness to our fields.

Thanks for all the support. Get outside and enjoy the outdoors!!
IMG_3072.jpegIMG_3075.jpeg

How and why we can reduce fert input costs!

Most know I love soil and growing things, but not just for deer. I am extremely passionate about soils in my own garden and food consumption. Here is a fresh made sauce, garden to table! I wish you all could taste the freshness from these nutrient dense tomatoes and sauce.

IMG_3216.jpegIMG_3217.jpegIMG_3220.jpeg

How can roots help with soil compaction?! Let’s take a look!

The goal at Vitalize Seed Carbon Load is to maximize food per acre, increase browseability and have a major focus on soil health. When partnering this with our Spring Nitorboost we can optimize nutrient cycling and reduce our need for high amounts of fertilizer.

If these were monoculture brassicas plots, without a mix of forage style brassicas, these plots would be worthless.

Because of the balance and diversity - these plots keep feeding deer, attracting deer and feeding our soil microbes.

#soil #soils #soilhealth #foodplot #foodplots #deer #deermanagement
IMG_9013.jpegIMG_3334.jpegIMG_3329.jpeg

2022 buck is on the wall! Best part is enjoying my sons reaction and spending time with him.

Here comes 2023 season!!

IMG_3354.jpegIMG_3353.jpegIMG_3349.jpeg

Here he is!

9/30/2023 and my season is over (for bucks) in the great buckeye state!

This is a deer I passed several times last year and he made an impressive jump this year as what I believe is a 4.5 year old. This year he was just so patterned and I needed to make a move early - I got lucky and it worked.

Thank you to all the landowners who allow me to hunt their farms.

Thank you to my friends who put up with the constant strategy questions.

Thank you to my beautiful wife for putting up with this crazy obsession I have with the coolest animals on the planet.

Shot him at 12 yards
Qtr away
Double lung
Weighed 196 gutted
200 yard track - crazy!!

Until next the next chase….

Wishing everyone a safe and blessed hunting season.IMG_3399.jpeg71780743539__A789EDE3-44A2-4775-B64C-D8FC8470640B.jpeg

Congrats Al, great buck!

Final picture until he goes on the wall. My favorite new tradition is one where I take a picture with Bryce!

IMG_3430.jpeg
IMG_3434.jpeg

Mr. Eric is rocking a killer Carbon Load plot in PA!! Can you say tonnage!! Not only will deer eat but so will the soil!

IMG_3486.jpeg

Congrats to customer and friend Eric Abernathy on this hammer of a NY buck!! This deer was in the Vitalize Carbon load often and Eric made his shot count.

Getting these types of messages makes our year! Thanks to all our customers and friends for the amazing support!!

IMG_3677.jpegIMG_3675.jpeg

Deer Nutrition 101

what can do we NOW for our soils to benefit next year?

Sometimes a trail camera photo just captures the beauty of natures simplicity.

A doe, eating a brassica, with Fall colors changing in a sea of green Carbon Load.

Can’t ask for much more!! Have a safe and enjoyable weekend everyone.
IMG_3782.jpeg