All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oak tree from acorns?

I put acorns in ziploks, usually with moist sphagnum moss or sawdust. Poke holes in the bags or crack the top open to let them breathe a bit, and stuff them in the beer crisper in the fridge. Around the end of February I pot them and put them under lights. After last frost, I'll put them outside until I can get them in the ground, usually in their permanent location by the wnd of june. I always tube oaks and have very few losses each year.
The acorns in the bags are from yesterday. I was scouting these trees and they were raining down. I couldn't resist filling my pockets. The swamp whites are about 50 yards down wind of the whites and I have a tree from one of these that looks like a cross.
Teeder,

Once you pot your acorns and put them under lights in your basement, do you leave the lights on 24-7, or do you go 12 hours on and 12 hrs off?

Thanks!

Nice thing about Alabama is I can grow them over winter outdoors. I did cover the pots during this cold streak.

I have 110 acorns growing in root pouches. These are all variations of white oaks. I have another 150 red oaks and chestnuts stratifying in the fridge right now.

image.jpg