Oak Sapling with acorns

You need to make sure you get those acorns and not the birds, deer, or anything else! I would see if I could propogate some of those over the winter.

What kind of oak is that ?? I haven't seen that one around my native area, judging by the leaves.

What kind of oak is that ?? I haven't seen that one around my native area, judging by the leaves.

Not sure what kind of oak it is. Looks like it's in the red oak family. I'm thinking some kind of pin oak. hard to tell by the leaves there chewed hard by the bugs and worms this year.

That is a great find. I know there are some oaks like DCO that produce pretty young, but I'd sure propagate those if I were you.

Thanks,

Jack

The pics are not the best angle for leaf ID. Some of the leaves look like post oak, but that isn't exactly within the native range for your area?

I was thinking post oak as well.

Lobes look too pointed and tipped with bristles. Got to be in red oak family IMO

I'd say its a bear oak considering your location in the NE

I think CAS is right.....a little digging and I think it's bear oak......sounds like they don;t get much bigger than a shrub so it could be older than one might think.