All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now I know ...

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I had posted this wide 8 in the October trail cam spread. I had been following him for 3 years. Lots of pics and out of range encounters. Week before gun he disappeared.

My dog Thor and I were walking along the creek bottom and Thor bolted into the wind. Well found what was left of the wide 8, he was a 4 year old and I was hoping he would see another year.

Was 20 3/8" wide and had some very good mass. Yotes and other scavengers picked him clean, this was 2 weeks after gun season so do not know what he fell prey to. he was a stud!

1202181407 (1).jpg

1209181246.jpg

1209181246a.jpg

1209181245b.jpg

Always a bummer...

Real nice 8. Sorry to see him gone like that, but glad you got the rack at least. Wonder what he'd look like at 6.

That's a bummer to lose a deer like that. But, at least you got the rack and will appreciate having it more than anyone else.

If it makes you feel any better that's more deer than I have harvest all together since 2012. SWEET looking shop too btw.

I hate when that happens!
Slightly better than not knowing. But not really much...

Thanks guys, that's the way mother nature works at times. As stated, knowing is better that not knowing.

Gave the thumbs-up not due to liking how you found him, but instead because do appreciate you taking the time to share and in the process honoring him with the saved rack and pictures. Cool looking beer can as well, and not joking when I say that -- love the "Canoe Paddler" theme and outdoors graphics on the can.

Last edited:
I hate to see that, but at least you know. Nothing worse than hunting for a dead deer!

Gave the thumbs-up not due to liking how you found him, but instead because do appreciate you taking the time to share and in the process honoring him with the saved rack and pictures. Cool looking beer can as well, and not joking when I say that -- love the "Canoe Paddler" theme and outdoors graphics on the can.

I hate to see that, but at least you know. Nothing worse than hunting for a dead deer!

Absolutely guys ... when we commit to the discipline of let em go so they can grow, we build a bit of a relationship with these deer. I have 100's of pics and video's of this guy. I believe I have a pretty good feel for his activities ... feeding, browsing, bedding, and women chasing. I did pass on him bow hunting the last 2 years. Thought if he made it past gun season would be fun to see him next year.

The thing that gets me is where I found him. An open flat in light cover on the edge of going to his feeding area ... just mystified me based on observed knowledge. He was in his comfort zone & core and I could not detect the stress that brought him down. Normally an injured or wounded buck, they go hard to the very thick cover or remote areas we have.

Oh well. mother nature has her own plan ... usually different than mine.